Unknown Crude Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Tom Vaughn, Feb 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Vaughn

Tom Vaughn Registered User

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have been working on a study on wooden gear tower clocks for about five years. I located another wooden movement tower clock by Samuel Terry from 1811 at the Windsor Historical Society. When I went to photograph the piece, there was a massive crude works clock on the shelf above it. The curator gave me whatever paperwork their museum had on both pieces, but the clock of interest is the crude movement. The Windsor Church records state that the clock was installed in 1794, but does not state the maker.
    After digging through records and trying to do some more research, I found that Frederick Shelley had beat me to it back in 1995. (Bulletin 299). He writes that the clock was similar to two in the collection of Ward Francillon. When I went through Francillon's research, they actually belonged to Wes Hallett (Current location of these clocks are unknown today).
    Anyways... Francillon suggested that the two clocks in the Hallett collection are related to a maker who could have learned from Ebenezer Parmelee in the Guilford area. Guilford is a far stretch away from Windsor.
    The clock is about 20 inches high. It would have originally had metal rack and snail parts. The snail is still intact, but other pieces are missing. The clock has maple plates, pinions and wheels. The corner posts are all oak.
    I am positive that this clock would have come out of the balcony railing in the church. The escape wheel has a lot of teeth suggesting the pendulum would not have been very long.
    Does anyone have any idea who could have made this clock? There might have been more research by Francillon on the two smaller movements which I haven't read yet that someone else might be familiar with.

IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0804.JPG

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Were you able to take any additional photos, say of the back plate directly or of the front of the movement? The fact that it is (was) rack and snail gives it a degree of exclusivity....most wood works clocks are count wheel, perhaps 95% of existing examples. From what I can see the pictured movement reminds me of work done by Ezekiel Reed of Bridgewater, Mass. We have one known clock by Reed, a partial movement with a magnificent brass dial of another, and a 3rd example (partial movement, no dial) showing several near exclusive Reed traits. Nothing of this size but more photos would be of use....I am doubtful there is a connection but it never hurts to dig a bit deeper.

2017-03-23 12.59.31.jpg

3. Tom Vaughn

Tom Vaughn Registered User

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I did not take any additional photos. There's a large front plate on this clock which covered up any of the works on the front plate of the clock. I did not have a lot of time to evaluate the piece, but I do have a photo of the winding barrel from the bulletin. Notice that there is no visible winding mechanism. It is located inside the drum itself. That is what is unique about the crude clocks mentioned by Francillon and Hallett.

IMG_0881.jpg