$ Unknown clock

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
7B51288F-2C41-492C-BE77-EEE7DEA038B3.jpeg 4684D839-13F7-4FDF-A979-68DFAEC18EBB.jpeg 73903742-E423-4764-BC3D-B3ED72E28148.jpeg 9614B234-E622-40CF-B8A5-BECCAE7F2DAB.jpeg D70FC0A7-0DED-47CC-B29B-891465BCB249.jpeg DF0073C6-9165-4005-A9B2-1C5ABAF28FE1.jpeg Hello, I have this dark wooden maybe French clock. The movement is unsigned and there I am open escapement. The seller said it’s French and it used to have a mercury pendulum but was replaced due to safety concernes. There is some splitting going on and the back glass/mirror is missing. Any ideas? Thanks.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
View attachment 616460 View attachment 616461 View attachment 616462 View attachment 616463 View attachment 616464 View attachment 616465 Hello, I have this dark wooden maybe French clock. The movement is unsigned and there I am open escapement. The seller said it’s French and it used to have a mercury pendulum but was replaced due to safety concernes. There is some splitting going on and the back glass/mirror is missing. Any ideas? Thanks.
The clock is most likely French.

The visible escapement is always a plus.

The glass can be replaced.

Try to remove the bell. There could be some type of inscription on the backplate behind the bell.

This is, IMO, the most attractive clock that you have purchased to date.

Regards.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
that is a nice looking clock salsa. i do not think it is french. i would guess its an american "knock off" of a frenchie dating somewhere in the latter part of the 19th c. if this were from there, the cabinet would most likely be belgian marble. the back side of the movement is indeed round, but that seems to me where the similarities end. it probably did not come with a real mercury, but then its hard to say for sure. this pendulum could be original perhaps. i have no idea why someone would eliminate the mercury in a glass pendulum jar for safety reasons. as long as you don't give it to one of young children to play with, i would suppose it is as safe as it could possibly be in a sealed glass vessel.

Last edited:
Reactions: one1laner

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
They said the clock repairman wanted to remove it for safety reasons. The escapement looks “different”? Does this, being American, make it not very good quality? And who made it? Thanks.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I'd also say it isn't French, afaik lookalike movements were made in the US and Germany. Nice looking clock.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
IMO, the shape of the suspension bridge and the style of the pendulum leader suggest German. The visible escapement does not appear to be American, and the position of the winding arbors, though not unseen in American clocks, is not what is generally found.

Reactions: Jmeechie

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
IMO, the shape of the suspension bridge and the style of the pendulum leader suggest German. The visible escapement does not appear to be American, and the position of the winding arbors, though not unseen in American clocks, is not what is generally found.
I agree - particularly the pendulum leader suggests to me that this is not a French clock.

JTD

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
What brand would this be? Is the escapement not perfectly symmetrical? Is that normal?

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
i think they are where they need to be to make the clock run. i think they are pretty much where they were set from the factory.

They said the clock repairman wanted to remove it for safety reasons. The escapement looks “different”? Does this, being American, make it not very good quality? And who made it? Thanks.
i don't know man....this makes no sense to me. any clock repairman worth half a hoot would cherish a mercury pendulum. i think the seller is either making up stories or regurgitating tales told to him.

and yes, i think german origin could be a real possibility also.

just because this isn't an original french clock does not make it crap. it would be less desirable to me personally, but that is only a matter of choice on my part. i have this weird co-dependent relationship with those pendule de paris movements. in some terribly screwed up way, i actually enjoy working on them. i might liken it to having a girlfriend who kicks you square in the jewels once a month but you stay with her anyway because she has big....well, you know.....

Last edited:
Reactions: one1laner

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The seller said they have a family collection of regulators and they have one clock shop from a “gift shop store” that has a private collector. I don’t know but the clock repairman said it “wasn’t allowed”. They also said it was serviced last week. I got this clock for 100 thinking it was “good stuff”. This case seems “nicer” than other American clocks, beveled glass, and solid construction. That might just save it for me. Thanks.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I would hang onto it, you did well on the price.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
It seems the consensus of opinion is it is German which I wouldn't dispute.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I will go out on a very stout limb to say it is not Ansonia.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
German... ok. Which German makers used open escapements?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Can't say I know. However iirc after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 German movements were imported into France with no tariffs, it is said they were assembled there and marked Made in France, maybe they used French visible escapements on them or maybe someone else can answer your question.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

As many have stated previously, your clock is indeed German (perhaps Urgos or Hermle). It is a reproduction, made in the 1970's, of a late 19th century French clock with a mercury pendulum and Brocot escapement. Had the clock been of the period, not only would it be a different movement but the case would more than likely be marble, whereas yours is wood. It is definitely NOT American. The philips screws are only "suspicious" in that they confirm, along with the movement construction (washers, pendulum leader, hammer, position of the bell....) that the clock is not of the origin nor the age it is trying to make you think it is. I don't understand why the seller said the pendulum is a replacement - it is original to the clock, which in itself isn't very old.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The seller said that their clock Smith said it was from the 19th century.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
Well, he also told you a story about the pendulum. I have agree with ticktock. The cabinet looks old. The movement is very much from the era he says it is. It’s still a nice clock

Last edited:

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Yes, could it be Chinese?

I am confused about the brocot escapement. I thought that was stopped in the 1920s.

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
That's a strange one.
I would guess german as well, bayonet barrels and that. But the fly for the strike, the coil spring on the rack?, the bent out tab for the suspension and overall build does remind me alot of Korean movements.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Yes. The fly is unusual as it expands as its running.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Whatever it is, you may want to look at the pendulum leader and the poor job of botching it up to make it fit the pendulum and the crutch. It looks to me that the pendulum has been flatten to get a hole in it or/and the leader has been cut at an angle so the pendulum can be hooked on. Then moving up to the crutch there is some sort of round spacer put in to accommodate the crutch, you can also see where 2 tabs have been cut off.

The story the guy that sold it to you about a clock repair guy and so on, is just that I think, a story, no way any repairer worth his/her salt would let that out of the shop and call the movement French, maybe the case is French.

All that said, for $100 it is okay.

Reactions: D.th.munroe