• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Unknown Ansonia ?

Alwaysroom

New User
Sep 2, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Country
HI All,
I am a new NAWCC member based in Country Victoria Australia. I am a self taught collector/restorer of American Mantel/Kitchen clocks over the past decade or so. I like to think that whilst I am a hobbyist I do things as professionally as possible. (All the gear and no idea :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: )
I am trying to identify a clock case which recently came to my attention. Sold as an Ansonia it has a 9-1/4 standard Ansonia movement, Ansonia pendulum, beat scale and dial pan. Looking through TDL's bibles (Ansonia and others but I don't have any Seth Thomas reference) I cannot identify the case (given the missing fret work on the mid dial pan of the case RHS). Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Regards
Martin

unknown.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like a New Haven pendulum. Others will know much more. Nearly all American clocks can be identified and dated here.

A photo of the movement and any labels will help.

Willie X

Alwaysroom

New User
Sep 2, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Country
Looks like a New Haven pendulum. Others will know much more. Nearly all American clocks can be identified and dated here.

A photo of the movement and any labels will help.

Willie X
Hi Willie, Thanks for responding. No Labels unfortunately. As I said it has a standard 9-1/4" Ansonia movement and the pendulum matches many of the other Ansonia clocks I have. Just trying to Identify the case
Martin

DSC_0040.JPG

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Alwaysroom,

Tran Duy Ly's Ansonia Clocks & Watches does not show your clock but, when I looked for your glass stencil pattern, I found a bunch, all from 1886. The bunch includes: Colon, Alaska, Farragut, Erie, Express, Fulton, Michigan, Post, Cuba, Metropolis and Peru. It is likely I missed some, too.

Based on that, I'd say you have an Ansonia from 1886 that didn't make it to Tran's book. I have a Montana that didn't make it.

Check the bottom of the backboard on the back for a label "shadow". Ansonia tended to put their label near the bottom.

Jim

Alwaysroom

New User
Sep 2, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Country
Hello Alwaysroom,

Tran Duy Ly's Ansonia Clocks & Watches does not show your clock but, when I looked for your glass stencil pattern, I found a bunch, all from 1886. The bunch includes: Colon, Alaska, Farragut, Erie, Express, Fulton, Michigan, Post, Cuba, Metropolis and Peru. It is likely I missed some, too.

Based on that, I'd say you have an Ansonia from 1886 that didn't make it to Tran's book. I have a Montana that didn't make it.

Check the bottom of the backboard on the back for a label "shadow". Ansonia tended to put their label near the bottom.

Jim
Hi JIm, Thanks for your reply, I've been thinking along the same lines. Everything points to being an Ansonia. I know Tran openly says his references are by no means definitive. Hopefully someone may have one the same and be able to give it a name.
Cheers
Martin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennifer123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller