University of Chicago Chiming Movement - The Book

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by scootermcrad, Sep 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 scootermcrad, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Hey everyone,

I'm sure many of you are aware of the 1903 publication that was put out about the student designed 3-train tower clock with a gravity escapement that is available for purchase or download called "the Tower Clock and How It's Made", by E.B. Ferson. I have admittedly not finished reading the entire publication, but decided to ask some questions.

In this publication there are many fantastic scale drawings of various components in the clock. Does anyone know if these actual drawings/prints are available somewhere? They are not very clear in the book. I will attach the drawing from the opening pages of the book.

Also, is there any other information out there about this clock? Doesn't seem to be a lot. It seems the students actually DID build it, but I haven't been able to find any more info. Fantastic looking clock design, from what I can see.

Thanks!
    Scott
    ChicagoChimingClock.JPG

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are many copies or reprints of that book. I'm not home right now but I thought the drawings in my copy were clear. I'll have to check.

Frank

3. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a copy that I downloaded. I've not seen an example of the printed copy.

Did this clock actually get built?? Does anyone know?

4. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have no idea if the clock was ever built. Are you looking to build it?

Frank

5. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have enough clock project ridiculousness going on at the moment, but evil thoughts often cross my mind about building a scale or even full size 3-train tower clock with a gravity escapement. I still would like to recreate a certain wood movement you helped me with as well.

More than anything, it just looks like it might have been a neat design and would like to learn more. It doesn't appear as though it was built, but some of the text in the publication suggests that it might have been at least started by the students.

6. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've reviewed my 1989 reprint of the book. The drawings are sharp. According to the Preface, the clock was built by 45 students.

Frank

7. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Frank!

I agree that the book seems to imply it was built, or at least started, but I can't find anything that shows its final construction, where it is now, rather or not it was ever actually installed, nothing.

So the document I have must be just a poorly scanned document from the original text. Sounds like I will have to add another book to my list.