Universal Geneve 215-17 puzzle-- self wind question

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by watchwldr, May 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. watchwldr

watchwldr Registered User

Apr 4, 2007
    Hello All
    I am looking for some input regarding this movement.
    I have serviced this movement and it is the type with a micro rotor. After service, the watch runs fine when manually wound, but the self wind mechanism doesn't seem to do its job. I'll explain what I found/observed and ask for comments.
    Manually winding the watch until I feel the mainspring slip, then continuing to wind it until I get just up to that point, gives me over 300 degrees of motion on the timing machine and a good run time-- no problems there. If I use a pick to rotate the micro rotor, I can see the wheels wind the mainspring, and when I do this with no power on the spring, the rotor flips around easily, and when I do it after manually winding the watch, there is more resistance-- just as I wound expect. But when I put it on the winder, which is actually the Bergeon final test machine (1 rpm), the watch will run down, even if left on non-stop.I have done this with the back off, just to make sure the rotor was not rubbing on the back, same results. By leaving the back off, I can, of course, see that the rotor does turn freely and rotates where gravity takes it, but the final result is a watch that runs down. What am I missing?
    Could it be that the winder just doesn't rotate enough, as technically it is a position tester, whereas the 4 rpm unit is considered the winder? Still, I would think that by starting with a full wind and leaving it on my machine, it would maintain at least some power, but it doesn't. Any thoughts would be appreciated. George

2. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is it possible the mainspring doesn't have enough resistance (reverse curl) to grip more/slip less?