Unique clock build!!! Need Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by adam.bgi, Jan 30, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I am completely new to this site, I would love to see "in a vote" if I could, concerning who I should contact if I had a unique clock build...

I would like to build a wall hanging clock (if possible) that drove 1 motor at a rate of 1 revolution per year, and another at 1 revolution every 24 hrs... I know it sounds like its kind of a science project, but it is what it is...

I'd need 100pcs built... that being said, decent accuracy, and warrantied drive parts of good quality. The type of drive is only important when in comes to whether or not I would require a wall cord or not to power it.

Does anyone one this form know of a company or an individual person would be best for this build...? Their name and contact numbers... please.

Thanks in advance!

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adam first welcome to the forum. I have read your post a few times.. and yes it is late in the day for me.. but I think I would like you to give more information.

David

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    I have moved this to the Clock Construction forum. Perhaps the habitués there can give you some pointers.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Adam, welcome to the message board. I think we will need more information, as to your application. Normally a motor drives a clock, and I don't see any application for a clock driving a motor.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adam, as others have said we need more information. As a former science teacher, this seems to sound like a hypothetical project to explorer the process of design, manufacture, and marketing of 100 "widgets" - in this case unusual clocks that mark years and the hours of the day. Or are you actually attempting to build a one off clock for yourself?

do you have a design for this clock - drawings, specifications, dimensions, etc. and are seeking a company to produce it (actually or hypothetically), or are you looking for some one to turn your concept into an actual production piece? There are companies around the world that can manufacture almost anything but most are not going to be interested in making only 100 pieces.

There are people here that can machine ordinary clock parts and help you build a clock if more is known about what you are doing. You say this is a science project, it might help if we know what grade you are in and how old you are.

RC

6. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #6 adam.bgi, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    haha
    When I said science project I meant that's a very simple build... well, Mr. Croswell its right up your ally. I simply am trying to build the following:

A 24 hour clock with only the hour hand shown, and then the 24 hour clock rotates around a center point every 1 year. and now the science part... its meant to mimic the earth/sun relationship as simple as it is... I have other attached information but it doesn't pertain to the clock build portion, so i'll discuss that with the individual that can build me the clock...

Funny, believe it or not... I'm an Eng. by trade and I have solely been and stock investor for the last 8 years... The 100pc clock build is one part of a whole. I'm serious about the build and I am fully aware of the complications that only a 100 piece production will come with. that's why I'm here, looking for a name and e-mail addy/website of someone that can do this for me, i am aware of the increased cost for a limited production run. I need someone who is best capable of providing me with a functioning 100 pc run... I would think its easy, for someone in the know, and I don't know the clock industry at all...

Thanks, I"ll review all of your recommendations and find the best fit.

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try contacting Hermle. Be prepared to put money up front, if you expect them to design it for you.
    I am editing out your link, since it is basically spam and adds no information relating to your project.

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also research some of the simpler orrery mechanisms and their manufacturers.
    Some of them are simple Sol/Earth/Luna models which may have what you need with a minimum mount of wheel reinventing.

9. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Let me get this straight. You want 2 dials or one coaxial dial?
    You don't want seconds and minutes?
    Are you talking typical quartz accuracy?
    I have an idea how it could be done. Would it be better
    run on batteries or a wall cord?
    How fancy do you expect the case to be?
    Tinker Dwight