Unique Clock Build!!! HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by adam.bgi, Aug 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Good Afternoon,
    I like to for someone to build me a UNIQUE CLOCK, I will pay the builder the price we agree upon.

please, I am trying to build a clock, not promote this website...

The description of the clock can be found here, www.chronosyouarehere.com, go to the "video tour" page and select the "clock" video. The clock displayed in the video is a digitally animated clock... I would like a capable clock builder to build me a functioning wall clock... one I can hang on my kitchen wall.

please message me or e-mail me back if you are interested in the build, include questions, "rough costs", and estimated build time... e-mail = adam.bgi@bell.net

Thanks your help is appreciated

2. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Feedback Request... Comments Please... Everyone that has seen this clock on my office wall thinks "that's awesome"... and I have yet to hear any comments from this board?

Is it too hard to build?
    Do the parts not exist yet?
    Too Expensive?
    What gives, no one can build one?

3. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With the greatest of respect Adam, I'm not sure you have thought your request through.
    You are asking someone to build a clock where its functions rely on computer software for it to operate as designed....or are promoting the website.
    The video shows, what is in basic terms, a design for a user interface for a calendar software application. Not necessarily transferable.

4. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #4 adam.bgi, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Clock.jpg
    First thanks Shimmy for responding, I appreciate candor. I apologize, I wasn't clear enough. This is a picture of the clock that hangs on my office wall. I have sourced the parts for the "earth" 24hour clock. a simple high torque 24 movement with a single gear with which I can change rotation direction to the proper direction. My issue arises with the 365 day movement. its not a shelf item... I have done the math for the 3D printed gears that would be needed. But if I wanted to power the assembly again with another high torque 24 hour movement. but my bet is that even the high torque movement would not have the torque required to carry the weight of the "earth assembly", even if the assembly is properly counterbalanced... The members here are the experts in this field. I'm listening to your ideas to solve this problem. I have looked everywhere and nothing like it exists today. I'm not saying its easy, but its not impossible. I have sourced PLC motor controls that would preform the functions but the cost for the parts list is $1200. simply too much.

my intent is to: first buy a clock (or a few) for myself/family/and friends, then if the builder was capable, sell any additional builds with a small markup for me, and a markup for the builder... that's business. We all win, including the buyer, they now have a very unique clock... And I must say, having one in my office, I experience time a bit differently. With "reminders" placed on the clock, you really get a sense of when an upcoming event is going to happen. It would make a great wedding gift, sportsmen gift, or gardener's tool.

As for the website promotion, not here. here I simply wish to find a clock builder capable of building simply what all clocks, and calendars were originally based on.

Thank you for your "time" ;)
    Adam

One more thing-When I say "reminders" place on the clock, I currently use sticky notes. A clock built for customers would need a more professional method. just saying that they are not "digital"....

5. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    #5 Tinker Dwight, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    With the 365:1 ratio, the clock would hardly even notice the weight of the earth
    ball. I'd be most surprised if it made any difference at all.
    You mention the 3D printer. One of the simpler 3D printer kits, with the Arduino
    processor would be enough to drive the clock. One stepper motor for each
    dial. Add a $15 clock module and you have all the parts needed for a lot less
    than $1200.
    At most one gear set on each stepper.
    Since it is software controlled, it could even be 365.25 days.
    Tinker Dwight

6. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    thanks for the info, I will head down the path of the Arduino Processor.

7. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    As an example, the load, not counting gear friction, between the globe and the
    second hand is 884,740:1. A mosquito siting on the second hand would have
    a greater effect.
    Tinker Dwight

8. adam.bgi

adam.bgi Registered User

Jan 30, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your input!!! much appreciated! I have ordered the bits. It was the gear and/or bearing friction that I was concerned about, . I simply don't know, and my guesses are not good enough, period... I need to be confident both the product will work flawlessly for me and/or for any customer for years to come. I don't want to build junk. I will be building the prototype and... we'll see.

9. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    I've tried that, and it only works *sometimes*! "Trial-and-error" is called that for a reason........

Johnny