• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Union Watch Company Pocket Watch

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Hello Everyone!
My name is Ben Cooper. and this is my first post on the Message Board! I just joined the NAWCC in February, so I am still learning my way around. Today I am posting to ask if anyone here has heard of The Union Watch Company of New York? My cousin has a pocket watch that he would like to know more about. It is a key wind pocket watch with a cover over the face, and on the movement it says Union Watch Company New York and the serial number is 85016 I searched online, and I could find almost ZERO information about this watch company. And based on the serial number, does anyone have an idea what year the watch could have been made? Thank you all so much for your time!

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Hello and welcome!
This is very likely a "Swiss Fake". Basically a watch made up in Switzerland to look like the American watches of the day. They gave them American sounding names. A photo of both dial and movement would confirm this.

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Hello Dave,
Thank you Dave for the information, I appreciate it very much! I thought it was odd that the dial wasn't marked. I guess Swiss Fake explains it. I wonder if the case is American made? or Swiss made? Do you have any idea when the watch might have been made? On an interesting note, I did see one reference online that said the Union Watch started in 1908........I'm not sure if that means anything? Thanks again for the information!

Last edited:

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
The case is likely an American case. Can you show a better photo of the markings inside the case lids? As for a date, I would place it in the 1870's to early1880's when these full plate watches were being produced in America. 1908 would be much too late for this style.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... On an interesting note, I did see one reference online that said the Union Watch started in 1908....
I'm fairly sure that the reference you mentioned referred to a later Swiss Fake appearing in the ad and denouncement shown below.

1908_Sep-25_Union_Watch_Co_Non-Magnetic.jpg 1908_Swiss_Fake_Warning_LR.JPG

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Thanks for posting the article Kent! It is very interesting! I will pass it on to my cousin, and I will save a copy for myself for future reference and if I find one somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent