Union Manufacturing Co. 30 Hour Clock

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Hi all. This week I received an eBay purchase of a Union Manufacturing Company clock which I am assuming is a 30-hr movement. All I have is the movement itself. There are only three wheels in the time train including the escape wheel. It also has a weight-driven alarm which I find rather cool. :D The plates measure approximately 3.75" X 4.75".

Does anyone have one of these clocks in their collection who could send me some pictures and/or dimensions so I could get some idea of how to go about making (or looking for) an appropriate case for this movement? And also, considering the shape of the alarm hammer, would this clock have utilized one or two bells?

Thanks! Any info would be helpful. Union Manufacturing seems to be a bit of a mystery. Other than their years of operation (1845-1849), I haven't been able to find much about them.

DSC01968.jpg DSC01974.jpg DSC01969.jpg DSC01973.jpg DSC01975.jpg

Last edited:

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
Go to www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com and search for "union". You will see some of the cases that used "Union" movements (Triple deckers, etc).
Rather than search for "union" on the keyword page, I'd suggest going to the maker's page and click on the "U". You'll see Union Manufacturing Co. on the list, and there are examples of four clocks. Two of the clocks are ogees, and it's quite likely that the 30-hr movement in question would have been in an ogee case.

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Well! Thanks for the tips, guys. And I was notified through eBay of a Union clock for sale HERE. A very nice specimen! Now I have a bit more info for my project. It is much appreciated.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
If you go to the largest search engine and search for union manufacturing company bristol, ct you will also find another movement like yours for sale along with some other information. Check the movement description while it is still there....it indicates that there might have been a link between Union and Gilbert:

www.bckntime.com

Last edited:

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
If you go to the largest search engine and search for union manufacturing company bristol, ct you will also find another movement like yours for sale along with some other information. Check the movement description while it is still there....it indicates that there might have been a link between Union and Gilbert:

www.bckntime.com
Hi Dick. I plugged in your search phrase in Google and found several sites that had sold Union clocks in the past, but did not find what you were referring to. Can you send me the exact URL for the page you found? Thanks!!

Lidenhour

Jan 26, 2021
Country
Hi all. This week I received an eBay purchase of a Union Manufacturing Company clock which I am assuming is a 30-hr movement. All I have is the movement itself. There are only three wheels in the time train including the escape wheel. It also has a weight-driven alarm which I find rather cool. :D The plates measure approximately 3.75" X 4.75".

Does anyone have one of these clocks in their collection who could send me some pictures and/or dimensions so I could get some idea of how to go about making (or looking for) an appropriate case for this movement? And also, considering the shape of the alarm hammer, would this clock have utilized one or two bells?

Thanks! Any info would be helpful. Union Manufacturing seems to be a bit of a mystery. Other than their years of operation (1845-1849), I haven't been able to find much about them.

View attachment 174072 View attachment 174073 View attachment 174074 View attachment 174075 View attachment 174076
I am very late to this post but I do have a Union Mfg OG clock with an identical 30-hour movement such as you have here. I restored mine myself. The dial is wooden and hand-painted also Union Mfg Company, Bristol Ct. This is one of only a few times I have ever posted in this forum so maybe one isn't supposed to reply after a decade almost lol. So until I am told I am going to.

DSC03981.JPG DSC04080.JPG DSC04081.JPG DSC04083.JPG DSC04084.JPG DSC04085.JPG DSC04089.JPG DSC04090.JPG DSC04094.JPG

Reactions: Keith Doster

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I am very late to this post but I do have a Union Mfg OG clock with an identical 30-hour movement such as you have here. I restored mine myself. The dial is wooden and hand-painted also Union Mfg Company, Bristol Ct. This is one of only a few times I have ever posted in this forum so maybe one isn't supposed to reply after a decade almost lol. So until I am told I am going to.

View attachment 659537 View attachment 659538 View attachment 659539 View attachment 659540 View attachment 659541 View attachment 659542 View attachment 659543 View attachment 659544 View attachment 659545
That is a beautiful clock! Thanks so much for posting your pictures. I became somewhat fascinated with the Union Mfg Co. a number of years ago when a customer gave me one to repair. I had never seen one before, and have seen precious few since. What really caught my eye was their bold proclamation of their name on the dial! Not like the other diminutive clock manufacturers with their names barely discernible at the bottom of the dial. And the glass in yours is gorgeous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aikenhudson
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-