Ungerer turret clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Boveri, Dec 11, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boveri

Boveri New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Good afternoon,

I recently found a small turret clock, I think was made by the Ungerer company in Straßbourg. The clock does not seem to have a striking train, but there are several wheels and devices on the clock that don't make sense to me.
    There is a fly on a arbor that is driven directly by the escape wheel arbor. Also there is a snail on the same arbor as the escape wheel. First I thought this would be some sort of striking device, but as it turns with the same speed as the escape wheel it does not make much sense.
    On the left side of the train is an arbor with a wheel that is not connected to anything.
    I hope the pictures clarify things a bit.
    Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

With kind regards,

Hubert

20161211_103935.jpg 20161211_103858.jpg 20161211_103800.jpg 20161211_103738.jpg 20161210_123555.jpg

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Mechanical Engineer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful! This is a very interesting piece. Looking forward to see what comes of this.

3. Boveri

Boveri New Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you,

In the meanwhile I found out that the fly driven by the escape wheel arbor is to dampen the action of the escape wheel. I've never seen this before, but apparently there are several known turret clocks with the same arrangement.
    Remains the unknown function of the snail on the escape wheel arbor.
    It can be clearly seen in the pictures. I can see that the small roller has been running along the snail, by the tell tale wear. Funny this is that the bar in front of the escape wheel will only allow the clock to run when the roller is swung away from the snail. If it runs along the snail, the clock will stop.
    Please look at the second picture, which shows the arrangement.

Best wishes,

Hubert

4. electric_turret

electric_turret Registered User

Mar 20, 2009
    West Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hubert,

I am a collector of German / European Tower Clocks and normally Ungerer clocks like this use a remontoire and the fly you spoke of is to slow down the reset of the remontoire after its release from the pallet.
    The remontoire runs the escape wheel and the main weight resets the remontoire and turns the lead off work.
    If you need more help with understanding this please let me know.

Regards

Andy