• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Uneven tick stops then starts itself again

Justinbarrow

Aug 19, 2008
I have just got an old movement back in its case and after having it run out of its case for 2 days it now seems to struggle.

I had the movement with its pendent attached and it never missed a beat but now i have put it in its case on the wall which is perfectly straight on the wall it seems that it stops for a second then restarts itself.

I have worked out its losing about 5 seconds a min because of this. Is this going to me a weight issue with the pendant as when i take it off it goes ok but when in re-attach it it skips and sounds like its struggling but it doesent stop.

The Tick and the Tock sound strong and ok just wondered what i could do if it is a weight issue.

Thanks for all the help you guys give it really helps.

Justin.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
This JUST IN!
Justin, it helps IMMENSELY when having a problem to give a brief description of clock and or movement such as, "Kienzle weight driven floor clock", for example.
Not knowing that however, let's begin:
Two days on the test stand. I'd probably test a movement for at least five to seven days, especially if it's a springwound clock and a striking clock - make certain it can complete a full winding of operation.
Since it was reliable on the teststand, it very well may be some kind of installation problem that it doesn't work right within the case.
Also, you write that, "case is perfectly straight". That is good and the way we'd prefer to look at it, but the movement may not necessarily be in beat when case is perfectly straight. It is more important that the movement is in beat, regardless of case position. You can make that adjustment later.
It reads to me like perhaps it is out of beat but manages to struggle that way. Pay special attention to how crutch and pendulum intersect. If crutch is a fork - make certain pendulum leader is not resting in the seat of the crutch.
Is it running in and then out of beat? If so, you have an escape wheel problem or power problem. More likely EW.
"Is this a weight issue?" Explain: Weight of the pendulum - No. Very probably not. Weight driving the clock? Very probably not.
Now please also tell us more about the type - nature of clock.

Justinbarrow

Aug 19, 2008
Hi Scottie

Thanks for your post, the clock movement is a BADISCHE UHRENFABRIK here is a link to the picyure...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Clock1.jpg

It is a wall clock and has been going for the last 4 hours now although it sounds like its having a hard time.

The clok at the moment ticks and tocks but then it changes its rythem to a tock tock tick type of sound then it will stope for about a second then start up again by itself.

Just wondered what it could be thats causing this as it works fine when i take off the pendant but then thats no good as it sounds like its doing 100 mph (way to fast)

I am i the process of clening a Gustav Becker movement...just hope i dont get to much of a problem when i ty to re-start that one lol :)

I would have these clocks anyday over the cheap electronic stuff thats around now, its just a case of getting it running ok. :thumb:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
OK; GREAT! This is a spring driven, striking wall clock. And, "weight issue", means you refer to the pendulum. That won't be the problem. Altho some will disagree with me, very little definitively can be said about it's ability to run without a pendulum as it does not duplicate the normal operation with a pendulum.
Again; I know it's hard to sneak up there and look but walls are NOT vertical. Make certain bob is not striking back of case. Make certain pendulum leader (the rod going thru the crutch) is resting neither fore nor aft in the crutch.
Now if after all that, you describe a movement running in and out of beat - changing from tick - tock to tock - tock or similar. Not good news. This is most often caused by a bent escape wheel pivot, unequal spacing between escape wheel teeth, or irregular length of EW teeth. A bent pivot will cause your EW to go up and down, bringing teeth alternately closer to and further from the anchor pallets, changing beat as it does so. Tooth spacing and length will do likewise.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Justin - we have to do a process of elimination to solve your problem. First, tilt your clock so it's not straight on the wall, and see if moving it off vertical, either direction, solves the problem. If it does, great. The problem is easily fixed. If it does not help at all, then more troubling problems exist and we'll have to eliminate them one at a time until we find the culprit. Try that, and get back to us :)

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
You could be having a loss of power. Are you running it with the hands on it? If so take them off and see if you still have a problem.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

specop

May 8, 2003
Wales
Justin,
Why not take the movement back out of the clock and see if it runs okay over several days.
If it does, then there is some physical problem associated with the case or hands. Several good
suggestions have already been made and it sounds most likely to me that when in
the case the movement is out of beat.

Specop

Justinbarrow

Aug 19, 2008
Come to think of it it does sound weak (not a strong tick or tock) will take the hands off in a moment, if it goes with the hands off what would this suggest in terms of loss of power.

Will let you know how i get on

wdonovan

Aug 11, 2008
Bayville, NJ
Visit site
Justin, with all due respect, before you start ripping apart every clock in your county, you should get yourself a basic clock repair book and read it. In the last 2 weeks or so, you've asked about repairing at least three different clocks. Each one winds up being a step by step by step by step inquiry. You are given answers by people trying to help and you don't even understand the words they are using. You really need to read a little about repair and some of the terms used in clock repair. There are many people here who are showing you they are happy to help. Why not try to make things easier on them by learning enough to understand their answers?

Justinbarrow

Aug 19, 2008
It works fine with the hands off, It been ok for the last few hours. The other clock is a gustav becker and thats not of real value to me as much as this one. (at least the Gustav Becker works) just needs a good clean.

Bill V

Jun 18, 2006
Orange, MA, U.S.A.
Country
Region
Did the movement run fine for the two days it ran before putting it in the case? If so, the problem could be that the movement does not sit flat against the back of the clock, and when the screws are tightened down, the back plate is slightly twisted causing the loss of power. I always check to be sure that the feet sit flat before installing the movement, and, if not, I adjust the feet, or add washers as required so that there will be no stress on the plates.

Bill

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
If as you say it runs fine without the hands on, the hour hand was probably touching the dial, or minuet hand touching the hour hand. Check for clearances between those points. Try putting just the hour hand on, if ok, try adding the minute hand.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
. . . . . . and as relevantly - were the hands installed during test on the stand? A valid test on the stand should include complete assembly to test all functions - even a makeshift gong or rod set if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Great Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-