Understanding Swiss Hallmarks on Abraham Colomby Fusee

Mary Rohs

Jun 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have in my collection a beautiful verge fusee pocket watch. Name is Abraham Colomby. I have turned up several different examples on the internet, but what I am trying to determine without testing the watch is if the watch would be considered gold or gilt. The case is a pair case, with the inner case clearly not gold. But the stem and bow attached to that non-gold inner case very much appear to be gold and are hallmarked with tiny marks that I cannot make out. The same marks are found on the outer case, one on each hinge. The case has multi colors of gold in a floral decoration, and I believe silver as well with an enamel portrait on the back. Nothing on the elaborate outer case would visually indicate to me there is gilding or plating of any kind, as I can see on the body of the inner case.

My question is relating to swiss hallmarks from the 1700s. Would it be possible that the outer case, stem and bow are "solid gold" (hence the little hallmarks) while the inner case portion (attached to the bow and stem) holding the movement would be gilt or base metal or whatever?

I am sorry I can't post pictures, I am not quite that technological and this is my first post here. I am a member of the NAWCC.

Adding to the confusion are many examples I found from this maker which some are listed as "solid gold" while others gilt metal or gold plated. Although I guess he could have made all different ones.
Thank you,

Mary

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Hi Mary, you would definitely need photos. You click on the little square with Mountains and Moon 15th from the left hand side. A box will appear and then browse to where your photos are. Regards Ray

1234.PNG

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Mary, welcome to the Message Board.

Do you have pictures on your home computer or your smartphone? We can give you step by step directions for getting them posted here.

It is pretty much impossible to figure out what is what with Swiss watches without pictures.

A Google search finds many Abraham Colomby watches in a variety of grades with enamel work cases.

Mary Rohs

Jun 15, 2017
I will see if I can get someone to help me. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derek
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa