• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Uncommon Hammond "WARALARM"

Larry48075

Mar 23, 2009
Michigan, USA
Country
Region
I have seen War Alarms made by Telechron (I have three of them), Westclox, and one or two other manufacturers, but until recently, I don't recall ever seeing one made by Hammond. It seems rather odd that Hammond would have made a War Alarm given that the company had stopped making clocks before the USA entered the war. At any rate, I have one now. This clock is almost exactly the same as the Hammond Fantasy model, except for the dial and the printing on the bottom where the metal Hammond tag would have been riveted. Also, this clock apparently came with a cloth covered cord. The clock case is ivory plaskon in near mint condition, and the rest of the clock is in great shape. I replaced the crystal though because the original was badly scratched. I also had to replace the nut on the end of the alarm setting stem because the original brass one was stuck and had to be cut off.

HammondWarAlarmFront_zpsakb669xl.jpg
HammondWarAlarmSide_zps4clhqej1.jpg
HammondWarAlarmBack_zpsvhqwk3cj.jpg
HammondWaralarmBottom_zps90awlqr5.jpg

Has anyone here seen a War Alarm made by Hammond before? If so, were there other models made by Hammond?

Thank You

Larry

WildBill2

Oct 26, 2011
First one I've seen and it's definitely recognized as the classic Hammond design of the period. Glad you posted this as I was unaware of this War Alarm model. Didn't know these manufacturers weren't allowed to advertise in any way, including putting their company name on the clocks or boxes. And the companies with authorization to make War Alarm clocks that I found reference to include Westclox, Gilbert, Telechron, and Hammond.

coldwar

May 20, 2009
www.hoagsclockshop.com
Country
I'm just curious - Who has the idea Hammond left the clock business before WWII - They left clock manufacturing about 1950 if memory serves.