Marine: Ulysee Nardin

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Paul Regan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if any folks here can shed some light on this Nardin. I am curious as to the number V572 on the dial, tub, and case. I saw in Whitney's a Japanese chronometer with a "V" number however there is no Japanese writing on this one anywhere. I have sent an email to Nardin requesting information. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did receive a reply however the only information available was that it was manufactured in 1917. They indicated their archives were incomplete.
    Can anyone here shed any light?
    Paul

3. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul,

We can at least say that the chronometer is World War I vintage as the war began in July 1914 and lasted until November 1918. I think that factor alone may be at least one reason why they boxed a pocket chronometer for navigational use? Perhaps the "V" is a general military use designation? There were at least 24 countries involved in the war,19 were the "Allied Powers" (including Japan), so maybe not Japan specific? I really don't know but perhaps a start.

In any event a really nice piece and from a very high quality manufacture.

4. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since the movement is not a detent escapement or chronograph movement, but a Swiss lever escapement movement I'll speculate that the watch was considered to be a "Torpedo Boat chronometer" intended to be used in smaller, not capital warships.

5. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are probably correct Ron. It is a typical movement for a deck watch and certainly is of high quality and 21 jewel. Similar to what Waltham, Elgin, and Hamilton did with this grade if deck watch. It appears that the engraving of the V572 was done at the same time as the other engravings.
    Paul

6. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently acquired another Ulysse Nardin of identical plate size and pattern. This one is in a watch case as well as a deck box. Unfortunately the dial is not original but the hands are identical to my gimbaled one. Ulysse Nardin in Switzerland identified it also as a UN24. These are the only two UN timepieces I have seen with this plate pattern. An interesting point is that these two have the same plate pattern as the Russian copies. I suppose this is the example the Russians used to make theirs. Any thoughts on this and why aren't there more examples? Also does anyone know the dial plate size of the typical Russian deck watch. This movement is 24 lignes.
    Thanks, Paul

Attached Files:

7. astonvilla

astonvilla Registered User

Jun 3, 2001
    Male
    Country Flag:
  8. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul,

Well here is the Kirova copy of the Nardin watch. This one is marked as finished 4-67. The dial measures 58mm but I'm not sure of the top plate size as I have not taken it apart and measured.

Krivoa deck watch 001.jpg Krivoa deck watch 005.jpg Krivoa deck watch 004.jpg

9. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you H. Sandstrom! You have entered a new theory. It would make sense since this is the UN model that Russia apparently copied. I am aware that the new UN24 I posted came out of Russia some time ago. Hmmmmm!
    Thanks Burt, I appreciate your input, especially the photos that show how identicle the Russian movement is to the Nardin UN24.

10. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably should have included the dial photo also.

Kriova Deck Watch 007.jpg

11. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 burt, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Paul,

Here is the "other" Nardin deck watch which seems to be more common as you have discovered. It appears to have been made in two versions both small and center seconds and with two different regulators. This model is a bit smaller as the dial is listed at 50mm in diameter.Royal Museums at Greenwich Collections has 15 of these instruments some in different model wooden cases but none of the type movements we have been talking about. All pictures credit their site.

large 3.jpg large 4.jpg

Attached Files: