Ultrasonic cleaners

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by binman, Apr 13, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. binman

binman Registered User

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired formerly a carpenter then a site manager f
    Chatham England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Couple of questions, does the tank heat up quicker with plain water or when a solution is in it.If say you set it for 40c how long may that take to heat up from cold or do you put hot water in with the mix.im trying out a new one which has frequency of 40 KHz and a Ultrasonic power of W120 range of temp 0-80c time 1-90mins its a 5Ltr. only i have a very small one that you fill with hot water, it doesn't say with the 5Ltr.I will be using L&R concentrated when it comes.

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It depends! Many ultrasonic cleaner heater elements are located high up, along the side of the tank. If the tide line of your fluid is fairly shallow, the fluid may not heat at all! If the tide line is fairly high, the fluid will heat, but the time would likely vary with the machine. Mine takes about 1/2 hour to gets reasonably warm. My cleaner doesn't have an adjustable thermostat. As to water vs cleaner, I'm fairly certain time would be about the same. When I change the water in the tank of my smaller machine, I use hot water, in which case I don't use the heater. I have two ultrasonic machines. A smaller one for watches which has a heater. In it I use water, and a glass jar with cleaning fluid. In the big machine, I use L & R # 677 waterless cleaner for cleaning clocks. This machine doesn't have a heater, but the fluid does heat by cavitation. As to this concentrate solution you refer to, I have no idea as to how effective it would be, heated vs room temperature.

3. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    That's only if the ultrasonic has a heater. Even in those that don't, the liquid will heat up over time as the machine is running, as you noted.

4. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a cleaner with a heater and control. I leave the solution in the cleaner between jobs, so it doesn't stay hot all the time. When I do use it, I usually turn it on when I enter the shop and by the time I'm ready to do the cleaning it is warmed up. If I am replacing the solution I used hot water and that just saves time.

I don't believe it makes any difference of there is solution in the water before you heat it or not.

5. binman

binman Registered User

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired formerly a carpenter then a site manager f
    Chatham England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for your replies, i will now know what to inspect, my clock club friend put me on to the L&R concentrated, the mix is 1-7, he rinses his movements in white spirit then uses a hair drier.

6. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    I would strongly avoid the use of an air dryer after the "White Spirit" rinse on account of the low flash point of paint thinners. :devil:

7. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fair warning Eckmill, would have to be a very hot hair dryer and very close though in fairness to reach 240 degrees