ultrasonic cleaner

ilchick47

Jan 5, 2021
Country
I am looking to purchase my first ultrasonic cleaner any suggestions or guidance in this area

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
For clocks, the little 2.5 liter from Harbor Freight served me well until I upgraded to a 10 liter Chinese unit available on ebay (or was it Amizon) at about $130. Both have heat and timed cleaning. Size will depend on what you want it for.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Bought mine off amazon, its not a common name, works great very happy with it, not expensive either.

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I’m not going to recommend any particular Brand, but I suggest that you get a bigger one. Bigger than what you think you might need.
It’s a common mistake to buy too small and regret it later.

M.

Reactions: lpbp

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree. I ended up with three of them before I finally got one big enough to actually be a help and not a hindrance in the workshop. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than one gallon. Mine is three gallons and still barely big enough to clean everything at once on a big movement. If you have to run two or three separate cycles to clean a movement, you might as well do it by hand. There is no time savings there.

Reactions: lpbp

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's roughly 1.5 gallons. If it were more square shaped it would allow a big plate to lay down, but if it's high enough to cover a big plate with solution it should work fine.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There is not a huge difference in price , to go to next size larger. For me i put the big plates on their sides. As i dont work on many clocks like gf clocks and such.

Reactions: ilchick47

ilchick47

Jan 5, 2021
Country
I found a 15L that looks interesting researching reviews ect looks like it might be ok also ordered the fluid. Have a mechanism that has issues will use as trial

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That one should serve you well. Remember that cleaning is only part of a complete service ;)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Mine is a 5 litre if i remember correctly, should be ok for cuckoo movements.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I have a Harbor Freight ultrasonic, and I honestly can’t tell that it does much of anything. I wash all my parts in the sink with a dish sponge and Dawn or Palmolive first, then run them through the US for 2 or 3 cycles with heat, thinking this will probably clean down inside the lanterns and cracks and crevices I can’t reach, but there’s rarely much of a noticeable difference in the parts or the color of the water when I’m finished

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Mine does a really good job on clock parts, it saves me so much time. Great investment for me.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I have a Harbor Freight ultrasonic, and I honestly can’t tell that it does much of anything.
I think you get what you pay for. I've got two units, a six quart and an 11 quart. Both are made by L&R. They cost a LOT more than the Harbor Freight units but are great at cleaning.

Frank

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I think you get what you pay for. I've got two units, a six quart and an 11 quart. Both are made by L&R. They cost a LOT more than the Harbor Freight units but are great at cleaning.

Frank
I had wondered if maybe that were the issue, but there are lots of people on here that swear by the Harbor Freight units. When I first started using it, I ran the parts through the US first, and in that case the water was dirty and there was a noticeable difference in the parts. I noticed it didn’t get the really grimy parts(like spring grease deposits around the winding arbors)very clean though, so that’s when I started hand washing the parts first, and then the difference after the US cleaning seemed almost negligible.

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
I think it might be a matter of not knowing how good an US can be.
I've had the cheaper HF type and thought it was great until a physician friend gave me his high-dollar model when he upgraded. There's a big difference. Reaching a couple of fingers in to rearrange things while it's running really hurts!

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
I bought a six liter one, a Chinese model from ebay, for a little over a hundred bucks if I remember right. And it works but is still a little small to fully immerse stuff, so I have to do one side at a time, sort of switch it around every minute or so. Part of that is trying not to make a huge mess by filling it completely. Because I have been using the ammoniated stuff from Ronell.
That is very interesting about sticking your hand in there and having it hurt! I always use nitrile gloves but I sure never noticed that.

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
That is very interesting about sticking your hand in there and having it hurt! I always use nitrile gloves but I sure never noticed that.
Yeah man, like little zaps within my knuckles. I don't recommend trying it out.

Reactions: T.Cu

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can test your US with a piece of tinfoil. If it doesn't punch little holes in it, it's not going to clean very well.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I put foil in my chinese made ultrasonic, this is after 15 minutes. I would say my us passed the test.

facebook_1620319573760_6796112869500864745.jpg

Reactions: Rockin Ronnie

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
That surprises me a little, that it does that much damage. I don't leave anything in for that long though, but still.. I will test it next time I put something in there. Sheesh.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Well something fragile like a hair spring, its not recomended to clean them in a us, some will and have disputed this, to each his own on this point.

Reactions: T.Cu

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, a hairspring will take the same beating if left too long. Keep in mind that tinfoil is soft and shows the force of the ultrasonic cleaning pretty clearly, and quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller