UltraSonic cleaner question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ScotSun, Jul 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a brand new, albeit smallish, ultrasonic cleaner that was gifted to me. I tried it for the first time yesterday with parts from a grandfather clock that I recently acquired. The water went black and the parts do look somewhat cleaner but not the sparkling brass that I see in everyone's posts after a sonic bath.

Is this because the parts were extremely filthy?

Would multiple baths eventually get them completely clean?

Should I hit them with the old brasso before going into the bath to rid them of some of the years of grime?

Thanks!

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No on the Brasso, that would introduce abrasives that then have to be removed. The US won't polish the brass, just removes the grime. What cleaner are you using in the US? Some cleaners remove oxide and brighten the brass, some do not. How long are you leaving parts in the US? The solution turning black indicates that the US is doing its job, but you may benefit by doing a pre-cleaning in one of the automotive degreasers with a brush. 0000 steel wool can be helpful if plates are not actually polished as it may leave fine marks on the surface.

RC

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you use plain water? That will not remove greasy grime. There are many commercial or home made cleaning solutions available that will do a good job.

Uhralt

4. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! Currently, I only have the jewelry cleaner that came with the device. The timer on the US only runs to 20 minutes before shut off and it has a separate temperature dial that goes up to 176 degrees.

Which US cleaner would you recommend?

Any particular brand or type of automotive degreaser?

Thanks!

5. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BTW... I have seen ketchup recommended for brass cleaning... is that a viable alternative to brasso?

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I use a 6 minute cycle and no heat. What doesn't come clean in 6 minutes usually won't come clean but I usually try another 6 minutes anyway. Willie X

7. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use this as a pre-cleaner. Do not leave brass in it for a prolonger time as it will darken brass but with a brush will get off most of the grime and avoids contaminating your US cleaner;
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Clean-Degreaser-1-Gallon/317691858

I use this in the US after precleaning; POLYCHEM DEOX-007 Concentrate | Merritt's Clocks & Supplies

Ketchup, probably not for this but I'm sure it will clean brass. Some years ago I worked for a tomato cannery. Most of the machinery was old, typically from the 1920s and 30s before stainless steel was common and a lot of the parts in contact with tomatoes were brass. Over the winter this brass would tarnish. There were always a few cans of tomatoes that "spoiled" over the winter and the owner of the plant saved a few of these. Come summer just before the plant started up he would pour the rotten tomato juice all over the brass machine parts to clean them. Worked pretty well. The acid in the tomatoes I believe did the job. I wouldn't recommend tomato juice or Ketchup for clocks but the chemistry is valid.

The US you have sounds fine. If it is big enough to hold the largest part you plan to clean is most important. The rest is extra bells and whistles as you like.

RC

NEW65 likes this.
  8. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all!

9. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    It does all depend upon the various descriptions of clean.

10. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Aluminum parts with ammonia based cleaners will turn brass dark. Plus use a stainless steel basket not aluminum it will act the same way.

NEW65 likes this.