• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Ultrasonic cleaner help please

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi all
Can anyone please help me, every time I use the ultrasonic cleaning tank although the parts come out clean they always have a copper ting to them, I have mixed the cleaning solution as instructions 1 part cleaner to 7 parts water, am I using to much ammoniated cleaner or to little, or is there another reason.?
Thanks Dell

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Hi Dells, what kind of water are you using?
I had this problem with some cleaners if I use my tap water, it's non treated water though so it's not chlorinated but it's very hard.
I mix and rinse with distilled water usually, but sometimes just bottled drinking water now and it hasn't happened since.
Dan

Reactions: Dells

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Yes heating to 30 deg and 5 minutes and yes I have been using tap water will try with rain water as I have two water tanks in garden.
I will try any suggestions as it’s very annoying cleaning after using tank.
Dell

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
dish soap + water + heat.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Deox 007 made by Polychem, no ammonia, i use it all the time. Better than ammonia and friendly to the environment.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Unfortunately, not available in the UK. If anyone knows of equivalent products this side of the pond, please let us know!

Simon
'Horogrene' from Meadows & Passmore is non-ammoniated. So is the clock cleaning solution from Priory Polishes in Clitheroe (you can get that on Ebay).

JTD

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
'Horogrene' from Meadows & Passmore is non-ammoniated. So is the clock cleaning solution from Priory Polishes in Clitheroe (you can get that on Ebay).

JTD
Thanks, JTD. That's very useful. I've been using Horolene from Cousins which is very smelly, being ammonia-based, and leaves a matt finish on the brass that I have to polish out with 0000 steel wool – which kind of defeats the object of using an ammonia-based cleaner in the first place!

It's ironic that you should tell me about Priory Polishes. I didn't know they existed, and they are about 10 miles from the town I was born in and grew up in, which is where I would have been this Christmas if the rules hadn't changed...

Simon

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, Horogrene is the 'green' version of Horolene.

Priory Polishes are a nice firm and they sell all sorts of things useful to clock people and at reasonable prices.

Hope you have a good Christmas despite the new rules.

JTD

Reactions: Simon Holt

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
My ammonia cleaner is from Priory polishes didn’t know they did non ammonia cleaner but will check them out.
Thanks Dell

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
My ammonia cleaner is from Priory polishes didn’t know they did non ammonia cleaner but will check them out.
Thanks Dell
Yes, they do both. No. 1 is ammoniated and No. 2 is non-ammoniated.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
All I can find is No 1 ammonia can’t find No 2 at priory polishes.
Well, that's strange. They are selling it on Ebay - search for No. 2 Non-Ammoniated Clock cleaner and you will find it, in three sizes.

JTD

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I made a basket with old Zinc coated screen and it did this to a couple movements. Also aluminum does not play well. I now make sure I use only stainless containers in my machine.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I’ve had the best luck with Ultra Dawn, available worldwide. Depending on where you live, rainwater may not be the best choice either(if you live near and industrial plant, for example, you could get chemicals from the fallout in your rain). Distilled water is a buck a gallon, and you will have zero problems from that, guaranteed. I’m going to go completely off the reservation now, and say that I think ultrasonic cleaning is largely a waste of time. I put my parts in a plastic mixing bowl with Ultra Dawn and scalding hot water, and soak them for about half an hour. I then wash them like washing the dishes, and scrub the lanterns with a soft bristle brush. As a rule of thumb, this gets everything cleaned up and shining like a dime in a goat’s butt. I run them through the US for a couple of cycles and dry them with a hair dryer after that, but I have to say I do it mostly out of a combination of superstition and the conventional wisdom espoused here by those who have been building clocks much longer than I have. In all honesty, though, I have yet to see an appreciable difference from the US after my initial scrubbing.

Reactions: Dells

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi JTD
Yes that is strange search eBay it comes up search P/P zero, perhaps they are selling it off on eBay because they have stopped making it
Merry Xmas Dell

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hi JTD
Yes that is strange search eBay it comes up search P/P zero, perhaps they are selling it off on eBay because they have stopped making it
Merry Xmas Dell

Well, that's even stranger, because when I look at it on Ebay it clearly says postage £3.00 (if that's what you meant by P/P).

Happy Christmas

JTD

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
The P/P was short for Priory Polishes, I meant that a copy and paste of the exact product to there website came up zero, but I will order some through eBay and give it a go.
Thanks Dell

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Oh I see, Le
The P/P was short for Priory Polishes, I meant that a copy and paste of the exact product to there website came up zero, but I will order some through eBay and give it a go.
Thanks Dell
Oh, I see. Hope it goes well.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
As with all things, if you invest in a good ultra sonic machine you'll like using it. Cheap ones are usually too small, too weak, or too much hassle to get ready.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am pleased still with the one i bought from Amazon. CO-Z.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.