• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Ultrasonic and Ionic Cleaner Question

pmurphy

Aug 26, 2020
Country
Newbie here with a probably dumb question although I don't think it was ever discussed here:

I was thinking of investing in a small hobbyist watch parts cleaner with the proper solutions and my question is about the fumes produced from the solutions and operating the machine. Is proper ventilation a requirement?

I live upstairs in a duplex and, although spacious for a one-bedroom apt., room is still somewhat limited. Also my wife works from home full-time and is a full-time college student and she never leaves the house during these times so I can't be stinking up the place and bothering her, not to mention the neighbors downstairs. My "workstation" does have a window right in front that I can open if I need to.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I use Deox 007 made by Polychem, no smells and cleans great and kind to the environment. I use it always in my ultrasonic cleaner.

Reactions: D.th.munroe

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
You didn't mention the Noise problem? I find that at work the small ultrasonic tank that they used for cleaning the watch bands cases etc. can be irritating. The regular watch cleaning machine is very quiet and not an issue. But if you have an ultrasonic machine it can make noise you might have to put it in a box or something.

The only problem we would have with watch cleaning products are if you are using the commercial ones perhaps. The cleaner in the rinse both have a solvents which is like dry-cleaning fluid I find the smell doesn't bother me but might bother others. Biggest problem would be ammonia-based watch cleaning products as the ammonia when it's really fresh is strong. But not as bad as the water-based ammonia clock solution is usually mixed 1 to 8 with water and I almost never use it but if I do I have to open it up outside.

Then in your title you mentioned Ionic Cleaner? I find that's a really interesting machine then the cleaning fluid as far as I remember has zero smell it makes zero noise and it doesn't unbelievably fantastic job of removing tarnish off of things. Although I doubt that most people in watch repair would even know what it is even A lot of jewelers are unaware of its existence.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thats one reason i use Polychem Deox 007, no ammonia, no bad smells, kind to the environment. Never heard of iconic, i will google it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertKarl
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-