Ultra Thin Lines..?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by gleber, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm looking for advice for what implement to use to create the finest (thinnest) black line possible (or any color). I'm looking for something that I can used to draw lines thinner than a hair.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Have you looked at pens for drafting (draughting) as used in mechanical drawing classes way, way back, before computers?

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, I have a set from way back (somewhere). I'll have to do some digging. I was hoping for a better modern answer. I also meant to post this in the Reverse glass and dial painting section.

Tom

4. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With the current interest in drawing, the major craft stores carry some pens that are quite fine. The issue with some of the pens that might be used is the ink with which they are loaded. Although Rapidograph pens are pricey and require loading the ink and cleaning after use, they do offer a variety of sizes and can be filled with various permanent ink colors if needed. There are likely other drafting pens that will also serve the purpose. Even better if you already have a set. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. The best I've found in the general class of pens is 0.5mm. Google says a hair is 0.02 - 0.05mm. I guess I'll have to look a little deeper for specialty pens. I just found these fine line pens on Google, which have a smallest size of 0.05mm. Time to do a little more shopping.

Tom

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just curious...what horological application requires a tip that fine? Repairs to a transferred lithograph is the only thing that I can think of - at least for a clock. Thx!
    Pat

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At least a few applications...

Touching up fine lines like chapter rings on dials.

Drawing fine lines on reverse painted glass. Definitely an experiment for me, but I'd like to try my hand at reverse painting.

Immediate need: I have a clock with veneer on a curved surface. There are a few small sections on the edge chipped away that would be difficult to replace. I plan to fill the missing sections with wood filler, stain it to match and then in this case the grain has fine black lines that I will try to recreate. The lines are part of an open grain, so I plan to scribe them first with a sharp knife, then color. I may be able to do it like incising where you cover the area, then clean off the surrounding surface. I'm about to depart for two weeks - work and Thanksgiving with the new grandson - so I can't post any photos now, but I plan to when I return.

For me it's all about learning new techniques - very satisfying when it turns out well. I'm not allowed to use that language when it doesn't...:rolleyes:

Tom

PatH likes this.
  8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could probably invent a single hair brush using a short stiff hair like from a hog or a skunk. It wouldn't be thinner than a hair, but as thin as one ;)

9. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember reading years ago about someone who did paintings on the heads of pins with a single hair from a fly.

10. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use airbrush for fine lines. 0.05mm should be no problem.

11. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This sounds interesting. Could you please post some pics of what you have and perhaps some examples of what it's capable of performing. Thanks.
    Don

12. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, so is that with a stencil? I'm curious about the technique too.

Tom

13. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 Andrew G., Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Hi Tom, Don,

I just airbrushed two lines on a vienna clock inner ring chapter, as an example. It could be done way better if I had time, but it is OK to show you an idea. I generally use either a stencil that cut from a cigarette paper (or a thin film) or use a special masking tape, like in my example. A stencil can be made by cutting overlapped two pieces of paper. Then you separate them apart. The gap between is your line.

Andrew.

IMG_20191128_001_HDR.jpg IMG_20191128_002.jpg IMG_20191128_003_HDR.jpg IMG_20191128_004.jpg View attachment 559128 IMG_20191128_005_HDR.jpg

woodlawndon likes this.
  14. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Andrew, impressive. I'm going to look into this gear a little further.
    Don