Ugliest clock you've ever seen.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Guess this topic should have two categories: factory made clocks and homemade clocks. I have an old Sessions that looks like a 9th grade wood shop project gone bad! Will post a photo soon, it's hiding somewhere.
Willie X

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
What about their "state" Willie. Some clocks are in very ugly condition, but would look much better restored. Do you want clocks that were "ugly" right out of the factory/workshop?

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
This is an Ingraham "Hammond".

I think of it as kind of a fusion of a Gothic Arch and Tambour case style...which I personally don't care much for. My mentor sent me its movement for disassembly, cleaning, reassembly practice. I asked about it so he gave me the movement and the case after I had finished properly cleaning the movement.

Bottom line, it's a derelict case with a multiple personality disorder. The clock has had a hard life. I just can't bring myself to throw it out or "harvest" the movement though. That will probably be a task left to one of our heirs, or perhaps someone I live to mentor many years from now.

315381.jpg 315382.jpg 315383.jpg 315384.jpg 315385.jpg
315386.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
I'll have to find her, but her name is Polish (Ozakawanie) for expecting or marking. She looks like a fat squat native american woman to me, but someone took a ton of time to make her. She's so weird I keep her right on top of my work desk so I can see her every day. I love her! I have a couple other art projects I've picked up over time, so I'll post them, too.

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
Willy, I recently attempted to restore an ugly ingrahams like yours with all types of different wood glued togeather.
It was a real challenge to get all the dark spots out, in fact, I never did.
I haven't rubbed it out yet but its going to be an ok clock when I finnish it.
Don't have a dial but it will show up eventually.

315397.jpg
315398.jpg
315399.jpg

Attachments

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
That looks pretty good John P. Maybe there's a decent looking clock lurking around deep inside of my Hammond's case after all.

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
I have one that fits this category. It's a Vesna, made in the USSR probably in the 1970s. The case is plastic and has an escapement I'd never seen before. I bought it at a rummage sale for $5, it wasn't working, the lady said it had been wound too tight. I figured it would be good practice for me to help learn repair and it was. Ugliest clock I have seen but you know what, it probably keeps the most accurate time of all my clocks, seldom needs adjusting, a real horse. It doesn't keep a prominent place in my home but I can't bear to get rid of it.

315405.jpg 315406.jpg

Attachments