• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

SWCC Type "A" movement winding operation

Bruce Cordray

NAWCC Member
Oct 10, 2011
Need insight on sequence of operation for the winding operation of the type " A " movement.
Train section has been overhauled and motor section operates when 3v applied independently, but not winding, operating when joined.
Need direction please.

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
Assuming it is wired correctly the most likely culprits are the backstop and or the brushes are miss adjusted or the knockoff piece in the train
section is not making contact. I have had some problems with this knockoff piece not having continuity when the between the frames contact arm is in contact with it.
The factory updated this contact assembly to an almost 100% fail proof system which did not rely on a good connection through the center shaft.
When the motor stops the brushes must be in a position to "start" when the circuit is closed.
Good detailed photos would be helpful.

Bruce Cordray

NAWCC Member
Oct 10, 2011
Thank you for the reply.
I wish I new the name of each part, I'm still searching for break down information on the movement.
I have pre wound the spring 4 to 5 turns ( as if it was a " f " movement ) and let the verge free operate. When the contact comes by it winds the spring no more then a second and then the contact moves by breaking the connection.
It doesn't make it back , the spring winds down and the free operation stops.
I hope this info is a clue to solve the mystery
Again thank you for any reply.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuburnEduProf
Encyclopedia Pages