Two weight Junghans jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by beedub, Aug 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Hello all,
    These are my new Junghans Vienna style puzzle pieces. It seems it fell of the wall some years ago and was never put back together. I plan to attempt to and have just purchased some hide glue as I read on here was the thing to use. Is there a reliable way to date this one? Is it possibly 100 years old or did Junghans build these in the 1970's or so? The case looks newer than my others and the two surviving side glass pieces are held in with metal push clips. The pendulum feels hollow with no real weight to it. Any advise on reassembling? Some of the small missing veneer pieces will show when together but that is a skill I don't possess. Thank you for any thoughts or ideas. IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2400.JPG IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2553.JPG

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    get the carcasse of the case reassembled first: unskrew the hinges of the door from the right-lateral glass frame.Top board,both side glass frames and bottom piece should be re-glued first.Take the back board with the shades of what was there before as a hint of where the parts should go. You need two clamps that can hold the whole length of the case ;don´t apply them to the case parts directly but shim the jaws of the clamps with plywood shims .In most cases the back board was nailed - not glued into the carcasse from behind after finishing . At last reassemble the door. The "crown" is attached to the top board without glue,just pluged in with dowels of some kind, You´ll find respective holes in the top board .Then show what You´ve got and we discuss the veneer job .HTH
    Burkhard

3. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you Burkhard for your direction. I hope to begin this weekend and then one day maybe have the poor guy together again.

4. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    be prepared that -after reassembly- the carcasse of the case seems to be too wide for the back board.This is due to the fact that wood shrinks not in the direction of the grain but crosswise , and all parts of the framework have their grain running transverse to that of the back board.The length/highth of the case usualy fits,but if You place the backboard into the respective recess it will leave a small gap on both sides.Place it right in the middle and nail it only to the top and bottom part.The door closes butt of the case,not into it.It may be necessary to reduce its overall length to fit and let it move open and close without scratching the top and bottom board.The glass in these usualy is only 1mm thick and contributes considerably to the stability of the whole structure.The front door glass should be shimmed with verry thin shims of wood or card board on top in the free edge,on bottom only on the hinged side to prevent the door to go out of shape by the weight of the glass.
    BTW I didn´t know that Junghans made such nice quality clock,I like the bajonette attachment of the movement!
    Burkhard

5. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    be prepared that -after reassembly- the carcasse of the case seems to be too wide for the back board.This is due to the fact that wood shrinks not in the direction of the grain but crosswise , and all parts of the framework have their grain running transverse to that of the back board.The length/highth of the case usualy fits,but if You place the backboard into the respective recess it will leave a small gap on both sides.Place it right in the middle and nail it only to the top and bottom part.The door closes butt of the case,not into it.It may be necessary to reduce its overall length to fit and let it move open and close without scratching the top and bottom board.The glass in these usualy is only 1mm thick and contributes considerably to the stability of the whole structure.The front door glass should be shimmed with verry thin shims of wood or card board on top in the free edge,on bottom only on the hinged side to prevent the door to go out of shape by the weight of the glass.
    BTW I didn´t know that Junghans made such nice quality clock,I like the bajonette attachment of the movement!
    Burkhard

6. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a newer style dial,and as you say a very light pendulum this might be of eastern European origin. I have seen maybe one or two. Enough old parts to look like an antique but new parts that could raise some questions.
    Just thought I would mention.
    tom

7. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,that´s what I thought : never seen a Junghans weight driven Vienna,especialy not with this kind of movement mounting.Where ´s said this to be Junghans at all?
    Burkhard

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think I can just see the Junghans stern in the fourth photo of the first post.

JTD

9. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you Burkhard for all your guidance to help me reassemble this poor neglected one. Luckily, the backboard and the side panels are still firmly attached. The very bottom piece under each side glass is loose though and will need some glue. And the door will need reassembly as you suggest. Looking at the clock more closely tonight, I can harvest some veneer from the door before reattaching the corner ornament pieces which I think will be enough to solve the missing veneer problem. The newly exposed corners do have a nicer finish than the rest of the case, so it seems the door was varnished or otherwise finished before the columns were attached. Was that the normal procedure 100+ years ago?

JTD - you are correct, there is a star logo with a J and unghans in its center on the back of the movement. I tried to get the best photo I could and Tom, you are correct, the dial was poorly replaced with a lot of sloppy weld/solder holding the 4 mounting pegs

Since you guys haven't seen Junghans weight viennas, maybe the case is newer. For example, the topper was glued on, I see no evidence of any pegs or dowels, but I see no other holes in the backboard from any other movement being there. I have two other 2 weight Junghans but they are not the vienna style. I will try to post more photos of the case construction tomorrow to see if that provides any more clues

I bet replacing that dome top front glass will be pricey. Thank you all for your help and observations

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

Why? Any good glazier can cut a curved piece with no trouble. Shouldn't be expensive.

JTD

11. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This Junghans was made in Ebensee factory (former Gebruder Resch) in the period 1901 - 1914. The movement is a modified version of the classical GR (shorter anchor with adjustable palletes).

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, I should have realised that, the back plate is very Gebrüder Resch. I forgot about Gebr. Resch/Junghans combination...........don't get old!

JTD

13. beedub

beedub Registered User

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you Piotr and JTD. So now we know the movement is old. Attached a better shot of the Junghans logo and also the other side of the movement. Now did the case and movement begin life together? Above was some doubt about vienna style Junghans weight clocks. Attached are a couple more shots of the case construction if that might provide some clues. Thanks you all for your help. IMG_2584.JPG IMG_2588.JPG IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2575.JPG IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2576.JPG