Two similar but very different carriage clocks, questions

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Rockin Ronnie, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    View attachment 356385 View attachment 356386 View attachment 356387 View attachment 356388 View attachment 356389

There are no makers marks on these two clocks though the one on the right (photo one) says "made in Italy" on the dial face. I am not aware of any Italian makers though I suppose that it does not necessarily mean that it was "made" in Italy. I am thinking around the 1920s for these two clocks.

The differences, Arabic verses Roman numeral dials, slight difference in dimensions, clock on left has a musical alarm as opposed to a bell, has a winding key, and a little heavier.

Any ideas as to the makers? Any other information? They don't seem to be worth much. $60 for the two at a flea market.

Ron

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    You are right, these aren't worth much, although you did quite well to get two for $60 (always supposing they are in running order!) and it's nice that you have two different styles and alarms.

Could you please post a close up of the logo on the dial of the Italian one? At one time (around 1905) Junghans had a branch in Venice (Italy) but quite what its function was is not very clear. Probably it was just a delivery depot for clocks made in Germany. But it is also possible that some assembly may have been done there and perhaps marked 'Made in Italy'. So it would be interesting to see the logo on your clock.

These little clocks were made in their thousands in the first part of the 20th century. Apart from Junghans, Badische Uhrenfabrik and others turned them out. Junghans and Badische were usually signed, in my experience.

JTD

3. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Rockin Ronnie, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    It´s the logo of Frattelli Borelli in Mailand. Later they became known for car instruments.

The other clock might be German but was mounted in Italy for the Italian market. Because of tax regulations several German clock factories had pre WW1 their own branch in Italy: Junghans, Kienzle and Thomas Haller.

Chronologiker

5. chronologiker

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    And to determine the manufacturer of this carriage clock, take the measurements of the plates and look here:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?121541-Mechanical-Alarm-Clock-Movements

Chronologiker

6. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. chronologiker

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Fratelli Borletti was, according to my knowledge, the only clocks factory in Italy pre WW1 and produced only alarm clocks.
    Fratelli Borletti was later renamed in "Veglia Borletti" and produced many car instruments for Fiat, Lancia, Daimler etc. Today, Veglia Borletti belongs to Magneti Marelli.

Did you find the manufacturer of your second carriage alarm?

Chronologiker

8. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I compared the musical alarm clock plate to the ones on the list and none but Kienzle is similar. The height is 94.9mm with a width of 64.5mm. i will be disassembling the movement in the next week or so and will look for other markings.

Ron

9. chronologiker

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Clocks assembled abroad generally don´t have a manufacturer's mark. Unless it was prescribed. From Italy, however, I have no rule known. Kienzle, so would fit very well.

Chronologiker