Two "Patrician" watches

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jerry Treiman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Jerry Treiman, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
    Here are two beautiful Waltham watches that I recently added to my collection. Both of these were cased and distributed by H.W. Matalene, an obscure casemaker who worked exclusively for Waltham (and who is my primary research focus). Both have Waltham movements marked "Patrician". This private label name belonged to Matalene and these movements were made for him in several grades and sizes.

The pendant watch was probably made around 1911 while Matalene was still in New York. It has a mid-grade 6/0 movement with a gilt train and composition settings. The hinged bezel of this watch must be opened to release the crown/pendant for setting (one of Matalene's many patents).

076.jpg 077.jpg pendantpat1.jpg

The wristwatch was made in 1922, during Matalene's tenure in Newark, NJ. It has a 9-ligne top-grade movement with a gold train and gold settings. Note the attention to detail on the solid case lugs.

079.jpg 080.jpg

Brad Maisto likes this.
  2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Jerry:

This may not conflict with Matalene's use of the name "Patrician" since he used it earlier and the font is different, but J.W. Forsinger managed to get a trade mark using the "Patrician" name registered in 1922.

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Jerry Treiman, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
    Thanks for bringing up that issue, Kent. Matalene claimed a trademark for the "Patrician" name in his unique font and layout but as far as I could tell he never actually registered the trademark for protection purposes. In this photo you can see his trademark (from company letterhead) and how it appeared on his movements. He used this mark as early as 1911 and all through the 'teens.

Patrician_TM.jpg

As you have observed, Forsinger's mark used a different font. My sources show his trademark was issued in February 1923 (perhaps not in any conflict with your registration date of 1922). Forsinger is listed as late as 1927 (The Jewelers' Index, 4th edition) as a wholesaler. I infer that he was the distributor of Patrician-marked watches made by the Illinois Watch Co. Perhaps due to the font difference, or perhaps because Matalene was lax, the trademark usage does not appear to have been contested.

Patrician_Ill_logo.jpg 19jPatrician.jpg

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both the new acquisitions are gorgeous. Congratulations. Interesting info about the trademarks as well.

5. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Since the link is broken from post #2, here's the image:

1922_Oct-31_JW_Forsinger_Patrician_TM.jpg

viclip likes this.