• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Two new clocks

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
First a Ferranti Bakelite clock, all working, I changed the very old braided flex, in case it was faulty, shame really, this is my second Ferranti electric clock, I paid £11.50 for this one, also at the auction I bid for and won a Cast iron cased Ansonia clock, this cost £17.50, don't know if that's a fare price, needs a clean badly, not running at the moment. One question I have what would bring the case up nicely also the feet and lions heads, bezel as well. See photos for both clocks

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
For the Ansonia, in an enameled cast-iron case, plastic cleaners such as Novus No. 2 polish work well. Probably automobile finish polishes would also work. However, they will not do much for the areas where the paint has been lost. The bezel can be polished with ordinary brass polish, if desired, and lacquered. The other metal trim originally was either gilt or finished with one of Ansonia's darker bronze finishes. It's possible they were subsequently painted with gold paint, and if so you could clean them with soap and water or try various solvents, which may renew the surface. Or you could repaint them, or strip the paint off and see if anything remains of the original finish underneath.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
What might be the date of this cast iron Ansonia, I see it has a patent of 1882 on the back plate,

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I think the Ansonia is the Venice, shown in Tran's Ansonia book from the 1904 catalogue and likely offered a few years either side of that year. Said to have gray panels and to be 10 3/8" high and 16 1/2" wide. The incising looks like what is shown in the catalogue illustration. Here is a link to the patent document for the 1882 patent, Walter Davies Striking Mechanism for Clocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent