Tungsten carbide pallets

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by D.th.munroe, Mar 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've made jewels before and was thinking about trying to make some clock pallet inserts out of good tungsten carbide, maybe it could be used to reface old worn pallets?
    I know its very hard to work with but actually less work than natural stones.
    Or is this a dumb idea? Lol
    Dan

2. tok-tokkie

tok-tokkie Registered User

Nov 25, 2010
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    I used it in the clock I made. 30-Legged Gravity Escape Clock
    I used a diamond lapidary wheel that I happened to have to grind it with no difficulty. Not being well informed I did not realize that polishing the locking surface would have improved them further.

3. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a very interesting clock. Have you noticed any wear on the other surfaces?

I'm wondering if, because tungsten carbide is cemented, if it is possible to polish it enough to actually reduce friction, or if even if I got a black polish would it still look like cement under a microscope? And wear away the escape wheel.

4. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,
    I used tungsten carbide for the pallets in my Strasser Regulator clock project. An interesting discussion of jewels vs carbide can be found here. The clock has been in continuous use for about 5 years now and the pallets show no sign of wear, neither does the escape wheel teeth. 5 years is not a very long period of time to evaluate wear on clock pallets. It will be interesting to see how they look in 50 years after I am long gone :rolleyes:.

5. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice.
    Thank you for the link.
    May be worth experimenting more with it then.