Marine: TS & JD Negus No, 1175

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by maddogg, Feb 28, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. maddogg

maddogg Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    Marylaand
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have had this Chronometer for just about 20 years now and to be honest I can't even remember how I acquired the piece. When I received the Chronometer inside there was a piece of paper that said this particular instrument was off the SS Hedge Haven. I have searched everywhere I could and I couldn't find a thing about this particular vessel or when this Chronometer was made. I contacted The Museum of America and the Sea in Mystic Connecticut regarding this item. It took almost 2 months before I heard anything back from the Museum and they could not find anything at all on the ship or Chronometer. They said this is strange for that time period because of their our online catalogs, they checked the British Lloyd's, but had no luck there either. I also tried looking up "Hedge", in case Haven was the master, but no luck. So if there is anyone out there who can tell me a little something about this piece it would be greatly appreciated.

20150106_200339.jpg

2. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Not sure if this will help, but from "World War II, Korea & Viet Nam, American Oilers, T2-SE-A1 hulls, A Study in Blueprints, by Duane Borchers, Sr." ... SS Torrance Hills renamed Wisconsin, Texaco Wisconsin and Hedge Haven ...

3. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

and some more from the internet ...

Torrance Hills

Built: 4/45
    Hull#: 79
    USMC#: 2100
    Later Names:
    1950 Wisconsin
    1960 Texaco Wisconsin
    1961 Hedge Haven
    History and Notes:
    From Victory Ships and Tankers by Sawyer and Mitchell:
    1950: renamed WISCONSIN, 1960 renamed TEXACO WISCONSIN, 1961 renamed HEDGE HAVEN. December 23, 1963, engine breakdown, 125 miles east of Muscat (voyage: Bombay/Bahrein). January 1964, disabled again in Mediterranean. January 26, 1964, arrived Palermo, in tow. Found not worth repairing. Scrapped Spezia, May 1964.
    Other history:
    48 - Donner Foundation, Inc., Wilmington, Del. (Philadelphia)
    50 - WISCONSIN The Texas Company, Wilmington, Del.
    60 - TEXACO WISCONSIN s/o
    61 - HEDGE HAVEN Hedge Haven Farms, Inc. (E. C. Stamatiou), Philadephia
    Broken up at La Spezia 1964 by Cant. di Portovenere S.p.A., arr. 1.4.64, work began 5.64 (damaged by engine breakdown 23.12.63, arr. Palermo 26.1.64 in tow)

4. maddogg

maddogg Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    Marylaand
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay, I see that there is a Ship named Hedge Haven in 1963 but can you tell me why a 20th century ship would have a Chronograph that was made before the 20th century?

5. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

Because the chronometer was in good repair, I'd think ... :)

6. maddogg

maddogg Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    Marylaand
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    okay, so your saying this chronometer that was used on an 18th century sailing ship was passed along to ship to ship before it finally came into my hands?

7. Dave Chaplain

NAWCC Member

Yes, I think so. The instruments were valuable and kept in good repair for as long as possible, and as long as they were in demand ...

8. maddogg

maddogg Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    Marylaand
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess what I am trying to find out if I have a significant piece of history or just something that's going to collect dust? Don't get me wrong, it's a very beautiful piece but as I said it has been sitting in my closet for many years. I honestly don't have a clue to what I have except what I have read about these Negus Chronographs online.

9. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A quick search (using Google) for Negus Marine Chronometer turned up the following page (among others): http://www.aagaines.com/man/negus.html

That reference gives the manufacturing date as 1870. The serial number is 2167, so a bit later than yours. Another page showed one selling for a fairly large amount at auction.

So, if you want to throw it out, please make sure I'm there ready to catch it when you throw it in my direction o:)

10. maddogg

maddogg Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    Marylaand
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks very close to the one I have but I think the brass on mine is in better shape. I didn't have a clue how expensive they can be.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We can talk about what they are worth in the Values forums. To make sure you get good answers try to remember it is a chronometer, not a chronograph. 100 years of active duty was not uncommon for them since they were regularly overhauled whenever the ship was in port for refitting for a change of service or whatever.

There is a small weekly subscription fee for the value forums down at the bottom of the Message Board.