Tryng to identify this old clock! Can anhyone help?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Mark1321, Feb 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark1321

Mark1321 Registered User

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hello all! I picked up this clock at an antique shop and am trying to find any information about it. Basically, who made it and what year it was made. The salesman just said, "it's a turn of the century clock" but that's not telling me much lol!
    There are no markings, no stamps in any of the metal, nothing. I thought I would find at least some kind of marking when I removed the mechanism and examined the back, but there just isn't any.
    I've taken thes photos and can take more if it will help identify this old clock. Can anyone help me with this?

P.S. Forgot to mention, the hands were held on by a pin thru the center shaft. Also, if you look at the photos, it looks like a lot of the woodwork was handmade and is asymmetrical. Don't know if that helps any.

clock_ALL.jpg clock_SIDE.jpg 3clock_BACK.jpg 4clock_DOOR_LATCH.jpg 5clock_INSIDE_DOOR.jpg 6clock_BOTTOM.jpg 7clock_OPEN.jpg 8clock_DIFF_TOP.jpg 9clock_DIFF_FRONT.jpg aclockworks1.jpg bclockworks2.jpg cclockworks3.jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The center disc, which is an alarm disc, seems to have scalloped edges. This suggests that it is a German clock. There appears to be no separate alarm movement, so the alarm is then an integral part of the movement (the left-hand winding arbor). However, I cannot identify the maker.

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Might be one-of, custom designed for a specific customer.

Ron

4. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Steven German time with alarm, the case appears to be a little cruder than typical German clocks.

5. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    My take, without seeing the clock in person, is that the case has suffered some damage and received less than felicitous repairs. I could well be wrong, of course.

6. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No help in identifying, but it appears to be a 30-hour movement, and the size would sort of indicate (to me at least) that it might be called a "cottage clock".

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I agree it is a 30-hour movement, somewhat along the lines of a New Haven time and alarm (between the plates alarm). Perhaps looking at the front of the movement might provide a clue. I want to say HAC, but that's just a guess.

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I don't think it is quite as old as the case design might make it
    look. My guess, by looking at the thin minimal plates, is that it was
    made in the 1930's, possible in the late 1920's.
    It is an alarm clock rather than a strike.
    I can't see the nuts, clearly, holding the plates together well but they look
    like turned hex rod rather than punched from sheet metal.
    The automatic machines to do this were in the 1920-early to 30's someplace.
    Tinker Dwight

9. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Quite unusual curly numbers on the face. Sometimes that can help identify a maker. Looks rather English

Attached Files:

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I cannot enlarge your photo but if the figures are the same or similar to the ones in the original post, these were quite usual on German clocks at that time. I really don't think the clock is English.

JTD

11. Mark1321

Mark1321 Registered User

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Great to know! A great, big THANK YOU to everyone who has chimed in so far!
    I came across this website and knew you guys would be helpful in identifying this clock.
    So it's possibly a "circa 1920-1930 German made 30 hour cottage clock".

12. Mark1321

Mark1321 Registered User

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Here's 2 photos of the brass hex nuts on the silver-colored bolts. The 2nd photo is the same pic, just sharpened for clarity.
    Does this help? I'm not familiar with what turned ones look like as opposed to punched.

brass_hex_nut.jpg
    brass_hex_nut_sharpened.jpg

13. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I still can't tell. Punched will have one part of the flat
    smooth and then about 2/3s will look kind of torn rather than
    smooth. The flats on the turned ones will be smooth.
    usually the turned one are almost perfectly centered
    on the threads will the punch ones are often a little
    off centered.
    Tinker Dwight

14. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Curiously, I found two catalogue illustrations in the 1905 and 1910 Junghans catalogues (provided courtesy of Vic Tang).

Luton 1905.jpg Luton 1910.jpg

Disregarding, for the moment, the top, which is quite possibly removable and may have been replaced on Mark's clock, the basic case is the same, I think. I also believe that the 1920's - 30's is too late for an alarm clock using an alarm disc.

The two clocks I show, however, seem to be time and strike, but I suppose they could also have accommodated a time and alarm. Then, too, the same basic case with a different top might have been used for a 30-hour alarm clock. In any event, I did not find this case in the alarm clock section of the catalogues, unless I overlooked it.

15. Mark1321

Mark1321 Registered User

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #15 Mark1321, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Thank you for this, Mr Thornberry! Oh my gosh, that looks exactly like mine, other than the top piece! I also found the pointed half of a broken minute hand inside the case that is exactly like the one in your photo (thanks to you too, Vic Tang!). Except my clock has so many asymmetrical irregularities and measurements that aren't the same when comparing left and right halves of the clock. It looks like much of the wood was hand cut and not measured very well lol! Also on the top piece, mine has 2 holes atop the "shell half circles" where finials used to be. I stuck 2 pencils in them standing straight up, but it looks odd because the VERY most top piece on mine is 1/8" wider on the right side (please see my photos) and the pencils make this very noticeable.

So my clock is possibly from 1905-1910 (or earlier) and was made by the company Junghans, or was it just sold by Junghans in their catalogue, but made by some other clock manufacturer?

I found this info for them on the web:

UHRENFABRIK JUNGHANS GMBH & CO. KG
    (Germany since 1861)
    GeiBhaldenstraBe 49
    78713 Schramberg
    email: info@junghans.de
    Phone: [49] 7422-18100

Perhaps I can email them some photos to see if they can identify it? They might not even respond but worth a try? I could try calling them, but I doubt whoever answers would speak English. This is so exciting for me!

16. Mark1321

Mark1321 Registered User

Feb 3, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Well, I've sent an email to Junghans along with some photos of my clock and Vic Tang's photo from their 1905 catalogue. Crossing my fingers hoping they'll reply!
    It would be so neat if they emailed me back saying it's from 1896 or something!