• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Trying to identify the movement and date

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
I have a Telix 21J pocket watch and am trying to identify the movement. There is no serial number on it. It is marked 21J adj. and i see a # 429N.
The only thing I have found anywhere on this, is it possibly could be a Unita 429N movement. Unfortunately I am not wise enough to take the watch apart to see if there is anything on the underside.
Could this be a Unita movement ?
Thanks for any help.

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Perby,

It's not the well known Unitas 6497. It does bear some similarities to the 83 series, but that's a much older movement, and I don't know how long they stayed in production. It also appears similar to the ETA 953 series.

Your movement is a more modern design, with 21 jewels, and what appears to be a shock-protected balance. It also appears to be a higher grade model, with swan-neck regulator. What is the width of the movement?

The Telix brand was registered by Jacob Tennenbaum of Bienne, Switzerland in 1947. I'd say your watch dates to the mid-'50s or later.

Regards,

Cary Hurt

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Thanks Cary,
I appreciate the info
The movement is 40mm, and like I said there is no numbers or other identifiers on the movement, with the exception of that 429N under a pivot wheel.
Thanks again
Bill

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Cary said:
Perby,

It's not the well known Unitas 6497. It does bear some similarities to the 83 series, but that's a much older movement, and I don't know how long they stayed in production. It also appears similar to the ETA 953 series.

Your movement is a more modern design, with 21 jewels, and what appears to be a shock-protected balance. It also appears to be a higher grade model, with swan-neck regulator. What is the width of the movement?

The Telix brand was registered by Jacob Tennenbaum of Bienne, Switzerland in 1947. I'd say your watch dates to the mid-'50s or later.

Regards,

Cary Hurt

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Thanks for the info Cary.
I was just interested in trying to identify the movement, and the approx. age, and you have answered both of the questions.
The movement is 40mm.
Thanks again,
Bill

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Cary,
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I was called away to work out of town.
The measurement of the movement is approx. 40mm, if that helps,
Thanks for your input.
Bill

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Hi again guys,
I am putting on a few extra and hopefully clearer pics.
Thanks for all the info to this date, really helpful, as i really am a neophite just starting to make a collection for myself, and want to know what I have.
Thanks again to all,
Bill

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Thanks Cary,
I have taken a few more pics, hopefully clearer than the last ones. Really appreciate the info so far, as I am really a neophite, just starting to amass a collection of watches.
Again all thanks for the info so far,
Bill

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vantique
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-