Trying to identify my new clock purchase

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ANTHONY PENLAND, Nov 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ANTHONY PENLAND

ANTHONY PENLAND Registered User

Nov 27, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just purchased the antique table clock at a thrift store in my town. It has an E.N. Welch movement. The gong looks like it was replaced with a bell. Everything is intact and the clock works great and keeps proper time. It does need a good cleaning as it looks like it was over oiled. Th scroll work decal on the back side of the glass is peeling back in a few places. Any help with this would be great.

thumbnail (21).jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (7).jpg

2. Luke Boyd

Luke Boyd Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Herndon Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your case design is similar to a design produced by the Waterbury Company circa 1880. Two of their models were 16 1/4 inch high.

3. ANTHONY PENLAND

Nov 27, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the updated information.
    Did they use stickers for the gold design on the glass for the door, or could it have been added later. I am also curious about the bell in place of the gong. There are two screw holes behind the pendulum. Plus, on the hour the striker hits the bell a lot faster than any normal gong I have on my other clocks.
    Also, mine is 17 1/2 inches high from the base to the top peak.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Since it has a Welch movement, I suggest it might be one of the Empress Models, such as the one pictured below from the 1880 catalogue.
    Empress.JPG

Welch, Spring & Co. was formed in 1868 to produce a clock of somewhat higher quality. The principals were E. N. Welch and Solomon C. Spring. In 1884, it was closed and subsumed lock, stock, and barrel under the parent company, the E.N. Welch Manufacturing Co., which continued to offer some of the Welch, Spring & Co. models, possibly including the Empress.

Supplement 12 of the NAWCC Bulletin, written by Owen and Jo Burt, is devoted to the Welch, Spring, & Company. It is well worth having.

5. ANTHONY PENLAND

Nov 27, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Awesome. This is just getting better. Thank you all for your information. Gives me more information that help greatly. You all are the best!!!

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Forgot to mention that the small gridiron is on the wrong end of the pendulum rod. It should be above the faux mercury pendulum ball.

7. ANTHONY PENLAND

Nov 27, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. I see that now. Will have to correct that.

8. ANTHONY PENLAND

Nov 27, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Finally deciphered a sticker on the back of the clock. It was worn down, but the name on it is A.R. Brattin, Greencastle, Indiana. Dates back to 1879. He owned a jewelery, clock and watch store there. From what I can make out on the decal, it states, cared for and maintained by A. R. Brattin Jewelers, Green castle, Indiana. The rest is unreadable.