trouble with waltham model 92 grade 845

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
Iam having the cause of a problem with my waltham model 1892 the balance wheel seems to be bound up and will not turn freely . the balance staff and pivots but power does not seem to be getting transmitted to the balance from the mainspring. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Moved to watch repair

Rob

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
No telling what the problem is from here. That said, being that these are full-plate movements that sometimes give assemblers grief at the pallet-fork, I'll throw a broken pallet-fork pivot as one distinct possibility. Just a WAG though. I've seen this on a few 1892's. And to complicate matters, there are two or three different types of pallet arbors for the model based on pivot type, i.e. straight vs. conical. Only your watchmaker will know for sure. Unless you have decent knowledge of such things yourself, of course. Good luck.

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
for those who haven't seen the watch before I have a link which has pictures. This is a rather interesting watch as pointed out above it's a full plate but it's not your normal full plate. Unfortunately ilike all full plates everything is hidden. This makes troubleshooting definitely more interesting.

Be nice to have a little more background history like the watch was running perfect and this suddenly popped up. Then was was the last time this watch was serviced if ever?

845 Versions - Waltham Watch Company's Model 1892

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
The problem I have encountered with this movement, and I have several, is if the mainspring was replaced with an incorrect one, or one that is slightly taller than it should be. This will cause the MS barrel to sit high and therefore the plate will not seat correctly. I'm talking .01"-.015" of an inch. If this isn't caught, and the screws are tightened down, the resulting bind will cause the watch to not run. If you loosen the screws of that plate slightly and your watch starts running, you have solved the problem.

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
objectsnthemirror
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff