Trouble with the Master

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
This thing ran for several days without the dial and hands after I disassembled and cleaned the wheels, cleaned the pivot holes with a tooth pic, lightly oiled said pivot holes, etc. Then I took the base off and polished it as it was a mess. Set the bet with the tool, and I can't get this thing to run again. When I rock the anchor pin with a tooth pic, I consistently get a good impulse in one direction, the other is iffy, sometimes good, sometimes dead. If a better video is needed, I can do that now that I know how.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
How's the gap between the fork tines and the anchor pin? It appears that the drops aren't even...the exit drop (the one on the right) is smaller than the other. Keep watching the exit pallet...does it ever get too close and dig into the back of the escape wheel teeth?

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
The space between the tine and the anchor pin is close. I opened them up a bit. Adjust the beat a hair. Here are two videos with the pendulum at different rates. The beat looks spot on to me, but does it look a little sticky to you?
They were both taken after the minor adjustments.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
The space between the tine and the anchor pin is close. I opened them up a bit. Adjust the beat a hair. Here are two videos with the pendulum at different rates. The beat looks spot on to me, but does it look a little sticky to you?
They were both taken after the minor adjustments.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Looks like a lot of movement of the pin inside the forks...could even see the gap. One the first video, I noticed that the pendulum was rotating but the anchor wasn't moving...around 25 seconds in. You should try and find out what's binding to cause that. I mentioned the possibility that the pallet is digging into the back of the escape wheel teeth. That can kill power and easily stop the clock.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Something about those pallets. They have groves, vertical, one groove in the center. I have not seen grooves on pallets before. But I polished them up, I don't think they are producing drag, but I don't know. I see what you mean at the 25 second mark. I'm thinking I have pallet problems....but it did run.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Looking at your videos there was only a few degrees of over swing, not enough to stay running. Fork gap looks a little large, like to set the gap at ends of rotation to 1-2 thousandths. You can get jumping if there is any roughness in the fork to pin contact area.
You could try lowering the fork to get more over swing, but I suspect you may need to shorten both pallets about .05mm and test.
My Master clock also has groves in the pallets, suspected there just soft metal.

Mine would run well for a 3-4 months at a time, power was just marginal no matter how I set up the clock. Couple of months ago I took another swing at it and bushed a number of pivots. One of my biggest concerns was the angle the mainspring barrel was sitting on its arbor, with the sealed mainspring bushing its case was not a good option but I could see that there was enough slop in the plate to square up the mainspring by bushing the plate. So after all this I left it at 40deg over swing, best its ever had and it would run with one turn of the mainspring so time will tell if this one is taken care of.

20210509_185032[1].jpg

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
"sealed mainspring barrel":???: As in you can't open it? That's why it would't open! I just got done taking it apart and cleaning everything again. If it still won't run, I'll try moving the fork. I tightened the fork up a bit. 1-2 thousandths? That's pretty tight, but I'll try that too.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
"sealed mainspring barrel":???: As in you can't open it? That's why it would't open! I just got done taking it apart and cleaning everything again. If it still won't run, I'll try moving the fork. I tightened the fork up a bit. 1-2 thousandths? That's pretty tight, but I'll try that too.

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Thanks for the link Kurt. Interesting. I gave it a couple good whacks with a fiberglass hammer, but after it showed no signs of giving in, I left it alone. Kinda wish everyone did that, one less thing to worry about.

PS: Still running...about 12 hours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModRenWatchmaker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller