Help Trouble signing into forums with my laptop

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by Rick Hufnagel, Aug 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everyone!

Typically I'm using my phone when accessing the message board. No problems and everything always works well.

Today I pulled out the Chromebook to do some research and tried to sign on to the forums. Each time I entered the correct password and user name it did not log me in. No error message or anything. Tried the log in button and also the log in page. I also made sure to be signed off on my phone before trying with the computer. This is not the first time, it happened a little while back last time I tried to use the Chromebook.

Anyone have an idea what's going on with it? Thanks for any consideration.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The software stores information about your session in cookies on your computer to keep track of what you are doing.

The best way to deal with this is usually to clear the cookies. If your Chromebook has 3 vertical dots at the upper right corner of the screen click on that symbol and then click more tools in the dropdown as you can see in my screenshot. If you click on the Clear browsing data link, you can delete the cookies. (You may also press ctrl shift and then press delete to clear the data.

Another possibility is that your Chromebook browser has JavaScript disabled, but that is unlikely.

upload_2020-8-1_11-56-39.png

3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, Thank you for the reply and for everything that you do here.

i cleared all browsing data and history and cookies and cached images. The same thing happened afterwards. Just for kicks i checked the "stay logged in" button and then tried logging in again and it worked. I'm writing this reply on the chromebook. strange!

Seems It may have been automatically logging me off as soon as i logged in? I don't know but glad it is working again!

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone wrote the bit of code for the login when we move to this software system in 2017. No one would tell me who it was or what the intent of the design was. It is still a bit mysterious to me.

We will be doing that again with our next software upgrade later this month. I hope to be involved and understand how it works this time.