Nookster

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Oct 5, 2010
Wyoming
www.vintagehamilton.com
Country
Region
I bought an old watchmakers bench that belonged to Bill Beers from Modesto, CA dated March 1936. Lots of fun stuff in here that I have no idea what they are used for?

can anyone tell me what this is for?

94983EC3-4240-4E96-9ADD-C0CC24819E7A.jpeg D12B20B8-9DA2-4E9B-8A50-3DCDE6F06799.jpeg 0C84ED02-A935-48A6-B8F9-0DFB837EFAEC.jpeg

Nookster

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Oct 5, 2010
Wyoming
www.vintagehamilton.com
Country
Region
Thanks Dave. I’m sure it’s in a drawer and I will look for it.

I saw one for sale online and saw the parts I am missing, will make them easier to find.

Last edited:

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Numbering would help but, taken in order from the top I can I.D. a few of them. First row left- douzieme gauge, right- tool stand (possibly for the next items?), row2 left- hole closing punches( I think), right-I don’t know. row 3- left- built like a jewel hole gauge but it isn’t, perhaps a depth gauge? right- drafting pens, row 4 left- hole punch. The next two are too hard to see but the last tool is for bending hunting case lids to help them close, but, as recently discussed in another thread these are not easily used and can actually do harm to the case. I have found them useful in antique toy repairs though. -Cort

Reactions: Ethan Lipsig

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I was at first confused by Cort's answer until I realized he must be looking at the photos on a smaller screen. So, yes numbering photos would help when there's a bunch. I agree with Cort on all that he identified. I'll add the pliers that are second to last look like stone setter's pliers, but the jaws are a little dark and hard to see.

Reactions: 4thdimension

Nookster

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Oct 5, 2010
Wyoming
www.vintagehamilton.com
Country
Region
OK, we can call photos in order-Again thanks for the help

#1 Douzieme gauge,
#2 Tool Holders
#3 Brevet Tools-used for?
#4 Fisner-Vice-used for?
#5 Levin Guage-Used for?
#6 Two tweezer looking with screw down-used for?
#7 Plyers with a pin going down the center of the claws-used for?
#8 Plyers with two notches at tip
#9 Plyers with large offset tips
#10 Same basic looking as #9

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Nookster,

#1, the douzieme gauge, is a measuring tool calibrated in twelfths of an old French inch, (or 'lignes'). These were also made with metric scales, and can be surprisingly accurate.

#6 are drafting pens, used for drawing lines in ink, superseded by Rotring type pens, (and ultimately CAD), and nothing to do with horology.

Regards,

Graham

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
#6 are drafting pens, used for drawing lines in ink, superseded by Rotring type pens, (and ultimately CAD), and nothing to do with horology.
Could these be used for inking numbers or lettering on clocks? I can't really tell what size the nibs are, but just wondered if that could have been the horological use. (Having said that, I've definitely learned that just because something was found in a box of horological "stuff" doesn't mean it's horologically related. :))

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Number 6 are used for holding Roller jewels to fit them in the roller table.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Pat,

Yes, I suppose they could be used for that, probably with Indian ink.

Regards,

Graham

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Yes, I suppose they could be used for that, probably with Indian ink
Graham - I'm not sure that they could be used for lettering. I used these for my classes in 'O' level Technical and Geometrical Drawing in the 1960's. From what I remember they could only be used successfully for producing straight lines against a straight edge. They could have been used with a stencil to create the outline, by maintaining the flat side against a template.

#7 - could be a leather punch
#8 - are the notches, semi-circular in profile? - could be pliers to holding the end of a thin bar

John

Last edited:

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
OK, we can call photos in order-Again thanks for the help

#1 Douzieme gauge,
#2 Tool Holders
#3 Brevet Tools-used for?
#4 Fisner-Vice-used for?
#5 Levin Guage-Used for?
#6 Two tweezer looking with screw down-used for?
#7 Plyers with a pin going down the center of the claws-used for?
#8 Plyers with two notches at tip
#9 Plyers with large offset tips
#10 Same basic looking as #9
No. 5 is indeed a Levin Depth/length micrometer. I have had two and both times found it fairly useless when a set of feeler gauges or a microscope measurement reticle can be used. OTOH, these are aggressively sought after by tool collectors.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi John,
I'm not sure that they could be used for lettering. I used these for my classes in 'O' level Technical and Geometrical Drawing in the 1960's. From what I remember they could only be used successfully for producing straight lines against a straight edge. They could have been used with a stencil to create the outline, by maintaining the flat side against a template.
Yes, I was thinking they could be used for Roman numerals but not for Arabic. They had to be inked carefully or the ink could run onto the ruler; a Rotring was much easier!

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I haven't inked many dials, but I used India ink, Rapidograph pen (same as a Rotring?), a straightedge for numbers (because my hand isn't that steady), and a compass for chapter rings to ink Roman numeral dials. I've never tried a fountain or calligraphy pen.

The tools pictured in #6 can be found on ebay as vintage drafting tools made in Germany. The little wheel is a roller.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Interesting - the tip looks different on the watch tools from the ones shown in drafting sets. I wonder if the same maker produced both.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
The little wheel is a roller.
Pat - Nor sure what you mean.

The little wheel is the knurled head of a screw. The screw is used to adjust the separation between the two nibs. This allows for cleaning when they are fully open and it is possible (with considerable care) to adjust the width of the line to a limited extent - too open and all the ink discharges onto the surface being worked upon.

1660745908009.png

John

Reactions: gmorse and PatH

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
The tools in the ebay ad are used for replacing rubbed in jewels.

The tool in picture #6 are the same that I have in some old drawing sets.

I guess they could be used to hold jewels but I think they originally were made for drawing........

Reactions: Dave Coatsworth

Bob Murray

Aug 15, 2011
#4 is a hose clamp, usually used in the lab. Probably marked Fisher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceferino
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-