Triple chain fusee. What style of clock or type of case?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by D.th.munroe, Feb 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,
    I have this triple fusee with Westminster chime on gongs. There is pics of it already on my thread in the new acquisitions, but I found a pendulum with the same lot number sticker.
    I'm having a hard time finding anything similar to recreate a case.
    The combination of the movement and the dial, which kind of looks like a lantern clock dial, is odd to me. So I'm just wondering if anyone has seen one like it or has any ideas what would suit?
    I have the movement cleaned and 90% repaired now so I'll show pictures when im done.
    I'm also unsure what I should do with the dial? I dont know if it was originally silvered in the center and brass chapter ring, seems to be no evidence of silvering on the chapter ring but just seems backwards.
    Thanks
    Dan.

IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0339.JPG 20181215_103715.jpg 20181215_103615.jpg

2. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    do you really think this movement is that new chris? i would guess its about 100+ years older than that.

and yes, i agree the silvering seems backwards on the dial....

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect both the chapter ring and the center where originally silvered. Probably the chapter ring has been cleaned and polished multiple times over the years but the center has been left alone due to the engravings.

Uhralt

5. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks guys.
    That is a beautiful clock Chris. I really dont know the age of it. When I first saw it and was in a rush loading stuff it made me think of W&H and maybe later 19th because its size, the dial is 12". I really dont get to see alot of bracket clocks around here though. The only markings I found are the G.B. on the gongs. It's gonna be fun gettin the rust off these gongs but luckily its the only rust on the whole thing.
    Thanks
    Dan.

15513854534783831342297351909351.jpg

6. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would guess Elliott. Yes that's a large dial, most bracket clocks have 8" dials. I wish I could have seen the original case, because the dial and hands look "retro". A regency style case would accommodate a 12" dial better than a bell top (which usually had a break arch dial). A basket top case may work as the proportions are smaller, but they usually had a square dial. Congrats on your triple fusee!

7. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Chris.
    I wish I could've seen the case as well, it is a bit odd. I'm hoping there may still be a clue in some of the other boxes I haven't gone all the way through, that pendulum was nowhere near the clock, the only clue that it goes with it (if it does) was the stickers with the same numbers. Lol
    Dan.

8. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
  9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a big dial for a bracket or boardroom clock, anyway the movement doesn't correspond to any by FW Elliott or JJ Elliott shown in Clockmaking in England & Wales in The Twentieth Century. Is that a rise and fall adjustment above 60 on the dial?

If that's a circa 1890 Sheration boardroom clock it can't be by FW Elliott as the company wasn't formed until1923.

10. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thwaites and Reed? As stated, probably plays Westminster chimes by the look of the pins on the cylinder. If so, then 3rd quarter 19th c. - on.

11. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it's a rise and fall adjustment above the 60.
    Also yes for sure Westminster chimes. Heres a couple more pictures of it I took before.
    Thanks
    Dan

20181215_103641.jpg 20181215_155126.jpg

12. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thwaites and reed could be possibe. After looking there is a couple similarities in work, but really after I found no marks I figured it would be hard to attribute it to anyone for sure. Although If you search google for "Thwaites and Reed balloon clock" the first hit for me is one with a 12" two piece dial. Its only double fusee and the dial is different but close. It is for sale so cant post it here.
    Dan.

13. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thwaites & Reed movements are usually marked, often this is T&R stamped on the front plate. My opinion is this isn't one of theirs.

14. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ahh ok. Thank you.
    So far the only triple fusee's I've had the pleasure of working on are 2 Winterhalder and Hofmeier's and a tiny bit older English square dial one.
    I do also have the older one I posted with this one in the new acquisitions but I put it away for now. Even though I trust my skills, I am a bit of a perfectionist and it's something I would like done as properly or accurate as possible. So really only going on what I can find on google and in my books.
    Dan