• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Trifix Clock Mainsprings

AJSBSA

Nov 24, 2009
Cheshire, UK
www.ajsbsa.co.uk
Country
Region
I have used hundreds of these springs with great success never had a problem until now and not sure if this is a problem.
I replace the mainsprings on most of the clocks I service however I have been getting a lot of the older Enfield Chiming clocks lately it has a chime barrel mainspring of 24x0.50x50mm this spring when installed in the clock takes a lot of winding with a normal key I am pretty sure it does not need to be 0.50mm thick and 0.45mm would be fine I will be doing an experiment with this latest clock I just wondered if anybody else had any thoughts on this are Trifix springs stronger than the originals I suspect they are?

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello,

I do not know anything about the Trifix mainsprings, but all I hear from friends that repair clocks is the modern replacement springs are generally poor quality no matter where they are made (US, Germany, far east). If a spring breaks near the end, cut end off temper, cut, and punch a new hole.

Continue using the old spring unless really set or damaged as new ones break easily and do not last.

Andy Dervan

hookster

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2011
Pottageville Ontario Canada
Country
Region
Trifix is a relatively common German make mainspring, of high quality. I have ordered them, in the past, from Cousins in the U.K. with no problem.
I have used hundreds of these springs with great success never had a problem until now and not sure if this is a problem.
I replace the mainsprings on most of the clocks I service however I have been getting a lot of the older Enfield Chiming clocks lately it has a chime barrel mainspring of 24x0.50x50mm this spring when installed in the clock takes a lot of winding with a normal key I am pretty sure it does not need to be 0.50mm thick and 0.45mm would be fine I will be doing an experiment with this latest clock I just wondered if anybody else had any thoughts on this are Trifix springs stronger than the originals I suspect they are?

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I too replace a lot of mainsprings on the clocks I service. I can honestly say that I don't recall ever having had a new mainspring break on me! I buy my mainsprings from Perrins in Toronto. I have no idea where these springs are made.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
And on the other side of the fence, I VERY RARELY replace mainsprings and find them very capable of running a well repaired clock for the expected run time plus some more. I would guess my mainspring replacement rate at about 1% or less.

AJSBSA

Nov 24, 2009
Cheshire, UK
www.ajsbsa.co.uk
Country
Region
I guess it depends on what type of clock you tend to repair, the only reason to replace a good condition American open spring is that it is too strong and causing serous damage to the wheel this I have to do quite often. Most of the clocks I work on are domestic British and German these are normally well past their best by the time I get to see them I give a no quibble two year guarantee on my servicing work and I have never had anything back because of a mainspring failure.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I replace mainsprings in French clocks, every time I do one. Is it necessary? Probably not. But years ago, before I started doing this as a matter of course, I used to find that if I used the old original springs, the clocks would run for over one week.......just! Now, when I replace the springs in these clocks, they usually run for two weeks, or better. Is it necessary to replace old tired springs? No. Is it BETTER to replace old tired springs? In my opinion, yes! I have been doing clocks (and watches) for 65 years! Experience and my success rate has taught me over all those decades, that it is better to play it safe than to preserve a mainspring, later find it isn't up to doing the job, and having to start over. Not a problem on modern clocks with removable barrels. But how about those that have to come apart to replace a spring that should have been replaced when the job was done? Like French clocks, for example!

Reactions: AJSBSA

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
I don't think they are stronger, however I would be interested to know the results of your test. I don't know if you've noticed that some are steel coloured and some are brown coloured ? The brown ones are better quality for some reason.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I replace mainsprings in French clocks, every time I do one. Is it necessary? Probably not. But years ago, before I started doing this as a matter of course, I used to find that if I used the old original springs, the clocks would run for over one week.......just! Now, when I replace the springs in these clocks, they usually run for two weeks, or better. Is it necessary to replace old tired springs? No. Is it BETTER to replace old tired springs? In my opinion, yes! I have been doing clocks (and watches) for 65 years! Experience and my success rate has taught me over all those decades, that it is better to play it safe than to preserve a mainspring, later find it isn't up to doing the job, and having to start over. Not a problem on modern clocks with removable barrels. But how about those that have to come apart to replace a spring that should have been replaced when the job was done? Like French clocks, for example!
I don't see many French clocks in my neck of the woods, Doug. So I can't really comment on that. However, in the rare instance that I'd have to separate the plates on a finished clock again, I can do it and have it back together again in 30 minutes. Not fun, but not a day killer either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-