• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Trench watches

Psyche524

Mar 31, 2018
Country
Hi all, these ‘trench watches’ were part of a group of five items that I bought as a job lot. I’m just wondering if I should leave them as they are (dial) or should I consider replacing them? They are both described as working.

Thanks,

Chris

1st:

BD3EB9B2-65BE-42C7-B5D0-18A6C91EFA5C.png AF4C5866-6A77-4623-9C3E-DCD9A845A1B9.png E38BDEEB-A541-4F40-A872-BB048A77B81E.png

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I can't read the date letter, but although he did import a lot of trench watches this is not what I would call a trench watch.

Reactions: Diathienthai

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Nick is right - those are early ladies' wristwatches. The first was never designed as a pocket watch, and I suspect (from its small size) that the second was also designed as a wristwatch.

Psyche524

Mar 31, 2018
Country
Ahh ok, I wasn’t sure if I was using the correct term ‘trenc watch’ to describe them.

I read recently that the conversation of pocket watches in to wristwatches is the definition of a trench watch is false. Trench watches were more often than not designed to be worn on the wrist

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Ahh ok, I wasn’t sure if I was using the correct term ‘trenc watch’ to describe them.

I read recently that the conversation of pocket watches in to wristwatches is the definition of a trench watch is false. Trench watches were more often than not designed to be worn on the wrist
Trench watches are style that were worn circa 1914 - 1920s. Its a style and not necessarily worn in a trench.

Pocket watches in a leather wristlet, were surely used my officers in WWi (and before) but are not termed "trench" watches

Yours are early ladies watches
Adam

Last edited:

Psyche524

Mar 31, 2018
Country
Hi Adam, but they’re from 1914-30 in the style of a trench watch. Probably not worn in a trench if they’re for females. Are they trench watches?

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Hi Adam, but they’re from 1914-30 in the style of a trench watch. Probably not worn in a trench if they’re for females. Are they trench watches?
NO
Mens watches were "trench" watches, even ladies/doctors "trench" watches did NOT look like your examples

Yours are early ladies wristwatches
A

Psyche524

Mar 31, 2018
Country
So what category do my watches fit into?

They can’t be ladies/doctors wristwatches because they aren’t made in this particular style and they aren’t trench watches.

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
So what category do my watches fit into?

They can’t be ladies/doctors wristwatches because they aren’t made in this particular style and they aren’t trench watches.
Ladies "dress" watches

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Ahh got you, just early ladies wristwatches in the style of a trench watch
No, No No
They are NOT in the style of a "trench" watch - please forget thinking of your pieces as "trench" watches
Thay are ladies dress watches circa 1900s

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Hi, Chris,

I really can't offer any expertise about whether to restore the watches, but I can recommend that you keep reading and asking questions. Read the descriptions, study the pictures, and keep any eye on the prices of watches on online auctions, and in the different threads in this forum. And, as I have learned, read, study, and ask questions before buying. I would have saved myself some money and have a nicer collection if I had listened to my own advice! ;)

One of my favorite go-to books on the history of watches is "How the Watch Was Worn" by Genevieve M. Cummins. This book includes some excellent examples of how watches have been worn through the years. It is richly illustrated and includes period engravings, ads and photographs showing people wearing watches. I'm sure there are other good, general books that can be recommended by others in this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are willing to help.

Happy hunting!
Pat

Reactions: musicguy

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
One of my favorite go-to books on the history of watches is "How the Watch Was Worn" by Genevieve M. Cummins. This book includes some excellent examples of how watches have been worn through the years. It is richly illustrated and includes period engravings, ads and photographs showing people wearing watches. I'm sure there are other good, general books that can be recommended by others in this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are willing to help.

Happy hunting!
Pat
Hi Pat, its indeed an excellent book. Sadly it will not help much in the OPs case as it has (from memory) very little on WW1 trench watches. In some ways she (Cummins) seems to have run out of steam by the wristwatch period of 1920s
Thats said its a lovely book

A

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Presumably the second was not imported into the UK. They mark silver as sterling in the US.

David Taylor

Apr 7, 2018
Country
Hello all. If I could jump in on the end of this thread. I have a rolex trench watch I'm restoring for a friend. The winding stem is missing. It's a 13 line aegler movement. Can anyone advise me as to the size of stem I need to order?