Trench watches

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
There seems to be a bit of interest in these on the forum again, I own a couple but know little about them other than them having import marks for the silver cases that place them during WWI

One is a cylinder and a decent size watch, the other seems better finished and is presumably a lever, it is also a smaller size. Neither is here at the moment they are both at school on display but I have pictures of the movements if anybody can identify them.

One of them is more active than some of our radiation sources at work but it is on display in a locked glass cabinet so no harm can come to anybody.

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Nick,

The lever is a decent quality movement, (although the balance is uncut and seemingly not bimetallic), with 13 jewels if the top ones are matched on the bottom, in a case with swing lugs, which is also a better quality feature. Are there any sponsor's marks in the cases? Which assay office marked them; was it Glasgow?

Regards,

Graham

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Hi Nick,

The lever is a decent quality movement, (although the balance is uncut and seemingly not bimetallic), with 13 jewels if the top ones are matched on the bottom, in a case with swing lugs, which is also a better quality feature. Are there any sponsor's marks in the cases? Which assay office marked them; was it Glasgow?

Regards,

Graham
The lever I just realised is still here, taking my life in my hands I'm just looking at it for you. It has London import marks, the funny looking omega sign, that GS chap as a sponsor and a date letter u

The case is 28mm diameter a round cushion case with the more advanced hinged strap mounts. Obviously very keen to go as it started ticking when I picked it up!

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Nick,

Thanks, the shipping and assay agents George Stockwell were one of the largest importers of Swiss watches at the beginning of the C20th. More here on Mr. Boettcher's excellent website.

Regards,

Graham

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Hi Nick,

Thanks, the shipping and assay agents George Stockwell were one of the largest importers of Swiss watches at the beginning of the C20th. More here on Mr. Boettcher's excellent website.

Regards,

Graham
I can't recall the details of the cylinder, it is a similar date and I think another GS but possibly Glasgow.

This is the front of the lever. A bit of the radium paint has got dislodged from a hand

2016-03-29 10.34.43 (1).jpg

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Hi Novicetimekeeper
I know this is an old thread but I've been looking for info on all my early 1900's wrist watches.
I have a cylinder like that one as well.
In Roy Ehrhardt's pocket watch guides the movement with the same plate design are identified as "maltons".

I might be able to find your other one as well it looks familiar.
Dan

1598568969075489121741371408830.jpg

Reactions: Tomxhar

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Graham has the cylinder at the moment to service. I'm hoping it will be a decent runner and I can wear it while my rolex sub goes for service. The lever is a bit on the small side for me to wear.

Reactions: D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Nice,
I'm pretty sure that the lever is a Tavannes.
I'm starting to like these more, but I find these too small as well, I am 6'4" though so alot are small on me.
Dan

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages