• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Trench Watch

Colorado68

Mar 18, 2012
Arvada, CO
Country
Hello,
I just started collecting watches and seem to be attracted to the early wristwatches of the teens and 20's, this is my first post. I just picked up this trench watch and am trying to find outmore about it. Doing a search for Narcisse Watch Co. doesn’t come up with much. Its 34mm in width (case) and 28.8mm in movement dia. Lugs are 13.75mm inside. Says 15 jewels, 3 Adjustments, Swiss made.
Appears the watch belonged to Wesley R. Childs who was the Postmaster for Kansas City around 1908. This may have been given to him years later. Not sure what year this is from... anyone have an idea?
It seems to run fine and keeps good time for the last several hours.
Now I need to find a band :)

xyzzytom_124963
xyzzytom_124960
xyzzytom_124961
xyzzytom_124962

Last edited by a moderator:

Magnum Wheel Man

Jan 25, 2012
southern MN
Country
new collector here, & I have reciently picked up a couple trench watches myself... one runs well, but needs the second hand placed back on, one maybe needs a main spring... both of mine have sterling cases... one looks swiss, one looks british, but as a new collector I'm not positive... I have book marked several sources for watch bands for the wire loop watches... my trouble, is I need extra long... I've found some of those, but they seem to command top dollar... if no one turns you towards bands, I can put up a couple links... you'll need to know how many mm for your band... guessing, is yours 12 mm ?? mine are both 10 mm

Colorado68

Mar 18, 2012
Arvada, CO
Country
new collector here, & I have reciently picked up a couple trench watches myself... one runs well, but needs the second hand placed back on, one maybe needs a main spring... both of mine have sterling cases... one looks swiss, one looks british, but as a new collector I'm not positive... I have book marked several sources for watch bands for the wire loop watches... my trouble, is I need extra long... I've found some of those, but they seem to command top dollar... if no one turns you towards bands, I can put up a couple links... you'll need to know how many mm for your band... guessing, is yours 12 mm ?? mine are both 10 mm
Thanks for the offer on Bands, but I did find a guy in England
http://vintagewatchstraps.com/
who makes bands for WWI Trench Watches and ordered that today. The lugs are 14 MM, so had to do a special order, should arrive stateside in a month or so. He was extremely helpful when I asked questions and even informed me that Narcisse Watch Co. was a registered name of Kurth Freres of Grenchen and Solothurn. The watch above dates to around 1916.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice looking trench watch. Did you look up the name on the case back.

Colorado68

Mar 18, 2012
Arvada, CO
Country
Nice looking trench watch. Did you look up the name on the case back.
Funny you ask... yes, I did. I also found a living grandson who is 83 and spoke with him this weekend. He confirmed the watch belonged to his grandfather and that he went to Fance during WWI. He survived the war and lived in Kansas City until 1941 when he passed. We traded phone numbers and I emailed him pictures of the watch. I let him know if he our any of his grandchildern were interested in the watch, Id be happy send it back to the family if they just cover my costs.

Colorado68

Mar 18, 2012
Arvada, CO
Country
Just had to follow up with pictures after servicing and the new band. I'm really happy how this turned out and the work done by Matt Becher who serviced the watch and David Boettcher who made the band. Excellent work by both.
xyzzytom_128070
xyzzytom_128069

Magnum Wheel Man

Jan 25, 2012
southern MN
Country
congrats on finishing I really like how that turned out... nice scrapnel guard BTW... I've picked up a couple of them so far & have one that fits nicely on one of my 3 watches... still don't know if I like them better with or without :???: I have more trouble with the bands, since I have big wrists & need extra long straps

Colorado68

Mar 18, 2012
Arvada, CO
Country
I had to follow up with a little history of the previous owners of this watch.

Wesley R. Childs (inscription of owner on back) was given the watch by W. B. Davis (Father of Major Murray Davis)
Major Murray Davis and Wesley were stationed in France together in 1918 at the battle of Argonne. Davis was killed in action on Sept 29th, 1918. W. B. Davis gave his sons watch to Wesley Childs as a memento of their service together.
The watch had been returned to the states sometime in Nov 1918 with the rest of the belongings and serviced in December of 1918 as inscribed in the back cover. Sometime in early 1919 the watch was given to W. R. Childs.
No way of knowing if the watch was on the Major at the time of his death, but is an interesting story. I've since acquired a book written on the 35th division that talks about eyewitness to Major Murray Davis's death. At about 10:30 AM on the 29th he was shot by a German machine gun burst while advancing on Exermont, France.
I was able to find over 30 newspaper articles that talks about the events and aftermath, a couple of which are posted below.
Just thought I'd add this trivial information to close out my Trench Watch post.

xyzzytom_131095
xyzzytom_131096

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
That's a great piece of research, and the newspaper stuff is as good as you could find! You have a museum exhibit there, Colorado :)

imwatching

Feb 23, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Region
Love the watch and love the finished article.
Fantastic bit of research on your part, makes very interesting reading, it's amazing what a little bit of research can produce.
I also am researching a Narcisse watch I have.

ChrisGM

Sep 19, 2012
Malaga
Country
Region
That is a fantastic piece of history a beautiful watch and a great restoration. Kudos on your research and the very nice gesture of your offer to return the watch to the family. That in itself outshines everything else. I wish more collectors would take the time and consideration that you have shown. My hat off to you sir :)

Chris

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
That is a fantastic piece of history a beautiful watch and a great restoration. Kudos on your research and the very nice gesture of your offer to return the watch to the family. That in itself outshines everything else. I wish more collectors would take the time and consideration that you have shown. My hat off to you sir :)

Chris
Chris
Thanks for re-raising this thread - I concur what you say.

My view
'Owning a great watch is fantastic - understanding its place o Horology, is magnificent'

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBS246
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions