Treatise on Clock and Watchmaking (Thomas Reid)

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Greg Frauenhoff, Feb 10, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
  2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I happen to own a copy of Reid, , (actually the 7th edition of 1859) and it is one of the more fascinating historical texts on horology.

It is very broad and comprehensive. It has 466 pages and 19 fold out , engraved plates . THE PLATES are one of the reasons for the rarity of the book, it was a fairly comon book in its day, but to many copies were butchered in the second half of the 20th century when it was more profitable to rip the books apart and sell the plates individually as decorative home acessories suitable for framing (mainly by people enamored of an english antiques style interior with no appreciation or knowledge of horology.

The covers the history of clock and watchmaking from a technical perspective, and has extensive mathematical parts covering the calculaions for many of the astronomical indications found on old high grade clocks (The chapter on teeth counts for various indications is over 30 pages.

I would strongly urge a serious student of horology to try to study a copy of the book if you can your hands on it. (currently abebooks.com list 5 copies for sale at prices ranging from 320 to over 700 dollars)

FortunatMueller-Maerki, Sussex NJ

NAWCC Life # 174
    Chair, NWCM Library and Research Center Committee

You can reach me at horology@horology.com

3. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Didn't the NAWCC library deascension a copy of Reid's book, last year?

My copy is the 2nd edition. I got lucky....$60

Ralph

4. gary G

gary G Registered User

Jan 22, 2003
    Many thanks for THE COMMENTS.
    gary G