transporting hermle 340-020 clock

hamlens1

Sep 22, 2012
I have a Sligh tambour clock with a Hermle 340-020 movement (balance wheel with flat spring). I have to move it 300 miles by car. Should it take it while it's running, or should I let it run down first; or does it make any difference? There is a shutoff lever for the chimes.

Thanks for your expert advice.

klikmaus

Nov 12, 2010
With a floating balance such as that, it PROBABLY won't hurt it to transport it while wound and running as long as it's not bouncing around in the trunk... However I would go with being safe and let the springs down.

Walesey

May 24, 2012
Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
Country
Region
I would be more concerned about the chime rods flapping around over every bump. It is possible for the metal in the rods to fatigue and break off at the attachment point. Do you have a way to secure the rods to stop them bouncing around? Can any one suggest an acceptable method of securing chime rods or don't other people worry about that?

Cheers
Walesey

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Just stick some packing foam or paper around the rods and hammers, ensuring they don't vibrate around when moved.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I'm with Wales and CCF. The chime rods are all you need to worry about.

Just sit it on the floor between the front and back seats with a rolled up towel to lightly wedge it in place so it can't fall over.

Don't put it into a box. :cop: Chances of damage goes up when you hide a clock inside a box.

My 2, Willie X

hamlens1

Sep 22, 2012
Thanks to all for the quick replies. I had not thought about the chime rods, easy to put a little foam there. Also thanks for the suggestion to pad it laterally as well as vertically (foam/cushion/towels) to cushion against road shocks.
Bon Voyage to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisWinston
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller