Transporting an Atmos Clock

finiteguy

Oct 28, 2003
I have an Atmos 528 that I have to ship to Florida. I'm not thrilled with mailing it, but I can't carry it on a plane. Anyway, is there anything I should do other than pack it with tons of bubble wrap and of course lock the pendulum.

Richb134

May 19, 2019
Country
Be sure to double box. Some Atmos have a thumb screw underneath that should be tightened after the balance is locked. Be sure to “capture” the pallet fork when locking (mid swing of rotation) so the fork cannot flip flop back and forth the entire trip. Avoid touching the lacquered case with bare hands. Oils can discolor/affect the finish over time. They can be shipped without worry if packaged correctly. Jaeger does it everyday.
Good luck.
Rich

TQ60

Sep 15, 2016
Madera CA
Country
Shake test!

Secure everything as above.

Add a string to the pendulum lock to be sure it cannot move.

Give it a gentle shake while looking close to make sure nothing moves.

Get a box that closely fits the clock, wrap clock with newspaper and tape tight, paper to paper with the tape or to Glass only.

Place in first box and use cut and fold cardboard to make corners to fill the corners to insure no pressure on any flat surface, only support the frame.

Add spacers until it is a snug fit.

Once it is snug in the first box tape it shut.

Again, gentle shake to feel for movement.

Now get a bigger box, heavy wall is better, and create a lot of cushion between 2 boxes, crumpled paper or foam.

Equal space on all sides, 3 inches minimum.

The material needs to allow movement on impact but retain shape.

When full close and tape shut, shake the box and feel for any movement.

If no movement you should be good.

Print "Delicate and fragile" "do not drop" "this side up" or other such warnings on standard paper and tape them to the box.

Insure for proper value.

Insist on SIGNATURE REQUIRED, make sure the carrier indicates on the box and or in their system that someone at the other end must accept it and not just drop on the porch.

Ship to someone's place of work if possible, usually commercial route gets delivered earlier in day by usually not contractors.

Reactions: Robert Gift

Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Country
Region
I have an Atmos 528 that I have to ship to Florida. I'm not thrilled with mailing it, but I can't carry it on a plane. Anyway, is there anything I should do other than pack it with tons of bubble wrap and of course lock the pendulum.
Why can you not carry it on the airplane?
Bubble wrap is excellent at absorbing shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banci
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-