• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

transporting a Herschede 5 tube hall clock

John Moore

NAWCC Member
Jun 2, 2010
I have a question about transporting a Herschede 5 tube clock. Should the tubes be removed or can they be secured and remain in the clock case? Should a clock repair person be employed to move the clock and set it up in its new location? I would appreciate any comments.

John

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Yes, the tubes should be removed. Cables or chains should be secured.
Weights, pendulum, pendulum leader and possibly the suspension spring
( depending on how it is attached ) should be removed.
It is easiest to have someone that knows clocks to set it up.
Take pictures of anything you remove, before you remove it.
Your clock person may not have see this exact clock before.
Don't be surprised if it doesn't run when it gets to the location
without servicing.
Old oil and gunk tends to fix itself to arbors that are not rotating.
Tinker Dwight

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
They will have to be removed and carried separately. I usually roll them up in builder's paper (sometimes called red rosin paper), up to 3 in each bundle. Cut the paper about 16" longer than the longest tube, roll that tube up about 2 turns, lay the second tube beside the already wrapped one, make one more loose wrap around both tubes and then lay on the third tube and wrap until the 36" width of the paper is used. Fold back the paper at the ends and secure with tape.
For the weights, first crank the weights up with a block of styrofoam above each pulley. Slightly crush the styrofoam into the pulley before removing the weights. You can use a 4" length of pool noodle for this (hole going vertically). Wrap each weight in a towel and carry each one separately.
Lift the pendulum up about
1/2" and carefully unhook the suspension spring assembly. Carry the pendulum carefully (no wrapping) just lay it flat on a towel in a safe place, where it can't slide around and damage the suspension spring.
Hope this helps,
Willie X

John Moore

NAWCC Member
Jun 2, 2010
Many thanks to both of you. After thinking about it, I am going to use a clock professional to pick up the clock from the seller and set it up in my home.
J. Moore

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hi John,

The safest way to transport pendulum rod is to find a piece wood longer than the pendulum and tape it to the strip of wood in multiple places.

I would question the "clock professional" politely about how many tall clocks that he/she has moved and setup.

Andy Dervan

John Moore

NAWCC Member
Jun 2, 2010
I never thought about taping the pendulum to a board. Makes sense though. I have always transported pendulums by just laying them on the car seat not considering it may fall off and be damaged. Sometimes obvious solutions escape us.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent