Transformer needed for dual voltage secondary clocks.

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by railwayj, Oct 5, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. railwayj

railwayj New Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Does anyone know where I can find a transformer that puts out both 24 and 48 volts d.c. current to operate secondary clocks? I need a replacement. The transformer I had could output several different d.c. voltages but I have been have been unable to locate a replacement. The transformer was in a simplex clock but the transformer wasn't specific to simplex. The clocks I have are Standard Electric Time clocks and require both voltages to operate.

Attached Files:

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    You could use two 120-24 volt transformers with the secondary windings carefully wired in series connection. Remember that the rectified DC voltage will usually be the peak voltage of the AC input.

Two common "door bell" transformers, usually 20 volt output might be all that's necessary. I don't remember if the 48 volts needed for the AR-2 system is rectified DC or AC. I do recall that they slave clocks did buzz when correcting.