Trademarks

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Joseph Heflin, Jan 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph Heflin

Joseph Heflin Registered User

Dec 21, 2015
    Jaclsonville, NC
    I have the book by Karl Kochmann on Clock & Watch, Trademark Index of European Origin.
    Is there anything like this for American clock makers?

2. Charles E. Davis

Charles E. Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow Golden Circle

Nov 6, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The monumental work that covers this is

United States Horological Trademark Index,
    By Kurtis Meyers
    Publisher Historymania
    Greencastle, PA
    USBN 14120-1787-4

It was published as on-demand and e-mail sales are sales@trafford.com.
    It is over 500 pages and covers names used and trademarks by anything with a trademark registered in the US.
    I was surprised at how many Japanese trademarks were registered in connection with US companies. The same with European clock makers.

3. Joseph Heflin

Joseph Heflin Registered User

Dec 21, 2015
    Jaclsonville, NC
  4. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also have that book. A personalized copy as I was acquainted with Karl. A very good resource but it does contain a few errors. There are people who will tell you that it is all but worthless since it isn't complete and perfect. I totally disagree and in fact I still use it when I am not near a computer. When I am, I refer to mikrolisk.de, an excellent reference and available online for very quick answers.

Check it out
    Walt

5. Charles E. Davis

Charles E. Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow Golden Circle

Nov 6, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use it all the time and would love to have any corrections that have been found.

6. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Charles,

I remember there were several that related to date of manufacture issues but I don't have the details.

The one "biggie" that I do remember is that KK shows an "extra" trademark for Lenzkirch. It is actually the first trademark turned upside down or upside down and backwards or something like that.

I remember a bunch of people created a big stink about it when it was "discovered." You would have thought that he said that Seth Thomas was from Vienna or something! I get really frustrated with people that attack somebody else's efforts because of a factual error when they won't even try to do ANY original research themselves, much less enough research to even start a much needed volume as this was in the 70's and 80's. If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

Im sure you understand that better than most with your efforts on Asian logos.

All the best,
    Walt