• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

"Trade Mark" movement - Korean?

Michael Linz

Oct 2, 2014
Georgia
Country
A customer brought a wall clock to me, and though the plates look sort of like an Ansonia, the movement is stamped "Trade Mark" with the letters "AK" within a star between the name. I believe it is Asian (or maybe a knock-off from India) because the plates seem a bit thin and the lower mounting brackets use two screws on each side of the rear plate instead of one on each side. The face has no writing at all, and I would guess the case is 1970's - ish. Is anyone familiar with this manufacturer or origin? 20210918_172255.jpg 20210918_172137.jpg

Michael Linz

Oct 2, 2014
Georgia
Country
A customer brought a wall clock to me, and though the plates look sort of like an Ansonia, the movement is stamped "Trade Mark" with the letters "AK" within a star between the name. I believe it is Asian (or maybe a knock-off from India) because the plates seem a bit thin and the lower mounting brackets use two screws on each side of the rear plate instead of one on each side. The face has no writing at all, and I would guess the case is 1970's - ish. Is anyone familiar with this manufacturer or origin? View attachment 672347 View attachment 672348
I think I found out from visiting other forums on this site. It appears to be a Eikeisha (Japanese). Not sure if it's worth repairing. It's going to need alot of bushings.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
These clocks are easy to work on and usually give good service.

It looks like an 8-Day and could be a little earlier than the 70s.

Willie X

Reactions: Michael Linz

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Peter,

The movement was made by Eikosha. (mikrolisk)

A.K. (im Stern)
A.K. (im Stern)
EikoshaJapan

Regards.
Yes, typing late at night and reading from two sources. My brain thinking one thing and my fingers typing another. The link I used was to the site Charles Davis composed. I'm not particularly happy with the way mikrolisk use that data without any reference to Charles. Or, put their watermark on his image.

I have removed the link as it has been hijacked and no longer points to japaneseclocklogos.com stored on the Wayback Machine site.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Yes, typing late at night and reading from two sources. My brain thinking one thing and my fingers typing another. The link I used was to the site Charles Davis composed. I'm not particularly happy with the way mikrolisk use that data without any reference to Charles. Or, put their watermark on his image.

I have removed the link as it has been hijacked and no longer points to japaneseclocklogos.com stored on the Wayback Machine site.
I have found that this link works.

Japanese Clock Logos (archive.org)

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
FWIW, the mikrolisk site does credit Charles' website, as he does with H-H Schmid 's Lexikon, Abeler, Kochmann and many others under 'reference'. It can be found if you click on 'trade marks' (upper right corner) on the mikrolisk site. The reference is stated as follows:

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: leeinv66 and JTD

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
FWIW, the mikrolisk site does credit Charles' website, as he does with H-H Schmid 's Lexikon, Abeler, Kochmann and many others under 'reference'. It can be found if you click on 'trade marks' (upper right corner) on the mikrolisk site. The reference is stated as follows:

Regards.
Thank you for pointing that out new2clocks! They do indeed have a list of references on the front of the Trade Mark page. That however in my eyes is only half the job. If you are looking to maintain a scholarly resource there should be an intext reference for each entry. I would still like to know if they have permission to put their watermark on images obtained from those listed references.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I would still like to know if they have permission to put their watermark on images obtained from those listed references.
I do not believe that mikrolisk needs the permission of anyone to use his watermark on the images contained in his web site. Andreas (owner of the mikrolisk site) is protecting his site by using a watermark as a warning to those who wish to use the contents of his site (specifically, images) without his permission.

By extension, he is also protecting the work of Charles Davis and others whose work he has used and credited. So, the mikrolisk watermark was a benefit to Charles and is a benefit to whomever has current legal ownership of japaneseclocklogos.com.

On another note, Andreas has provided the NAWCC and their message board users permission to use the images from mikrolisk.de. on the NAWCC boards:

Just feel free to use the images from my database here, and by the way, because of the copyright watermark everybody will know where are that images from.
Just in case for publications in books or other commercial use we should talk. :)

See the following:

Germany clock help with identification and date. | NAWCC Forums

Although the above statement was made to a particular user in the referenced thread, I believe it is clear that his intention was for the NAWCC and their message board users to use his images on the NAWCC forums and was not limited to one user. Andreas (mikrolisk) has been a registered user of the NAWCC forums for ten years, has over 600 posts during that time and accesses the forums on a somewhat regular basis. His last access to the forums was less than a week ago (Friday, September 17, 2021). If he had not meant to provide the NAWCC and its forum users to use his images on the NAWCC forums, he would have contacted the appropriate NAWCC personnel to halt the use of his images.

Regards.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I believe we are not going to agree on this issue as I still hold to my original view after reading your interpretation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riccardo77
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-