Tower Clocks from Peru

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Grant Perry, Jun 9, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Grant Perry

Grant Perry Registered User

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I was recently in Peru and had the opportunity to take some pictures of tower clocks. Unfortunately I was unable to gain access to the buildings to see the movements.

The first two pictures are at the Central Train Station (Ferrocarril Central) just off of the Major Plaza in Colonial part of Lima.

The second two pictures show a pair of clocks in the Catholic Church in the Main Plaza.

The last two pictures show the tower clock which is in the Municipal Building in the Central Plaza of the town of Pisco. Pisco was very close to the epicentre of the 2007 earthquake. The church next to this building was totally destroyed in the earthquake and resulted in the death of 300 churchgoers. The Municipal Building is now considered unsafe and is closed.

Attached Files:

• TC2.jpg
      File size:
      105.2 KB
      Views:
    • TC1.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • tc3.jpg
      File size:
      80.4 KB
      Views:
    • tc4.jpg
      File size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
    • tc5.jpg
      File size:
      111.4 KB
      Views:
    • tc6.jpg
      File size:
      93.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting pictures Grant.So you would not know of any of the history of these clocks?
    Hope you had a good trip and glad to see you back.

3. Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Kev,
    Sorry, no history.... Security was very tight as their President was in the area that day.. In addition, my grasp of the Spanish language leaves much to be desired :eek:.
    Grant

4. DanJeffries

DanJeffries The Tower clock man

Dec 1, 2008
    Male
    Controller
    Monticello Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great clocks, too bad you couldn't get in to see the movements. The municipal building has sparked my interest though, it does look like it is in poor shape. I'm pretty sure the tower clock would be a John Smith and Sons from Derby England. I have 4 exact same style sunburst dials that came with my John Smith and Sons from Derby England, that I acquired from Canada.
    The movments were just time and strike and they came with that standard dial pattern and Smith's sold them all over the world to put in municipal buildings, government offices, post offices, etc, almost like a government contract, but worldwide.
    My clock came out of a post office that was being torn down to be replaced with a more modern looking building.

Anyhow, great clocks and I'm sure you had a great time in Peru! Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

5. bkerr

bkerr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Male
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Canal Fulton,OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great pics and interesting read, thanks for sharing

6. JB

JB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing Grant, the picture in the middle reminded me of a clock I saw in Bogota, Colombia a few years ago. I find it interesting they would have 2 clocks on the same building.

Attached Files:

7. Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is great finding these things when you travel. :D
    I was wondering about the two clocks as well. I guess it was just for appearance.
    Here is another one with two towers and clocks from the Major Plaza in Cusco Peru…..

Attached Files: