Tower clock with only two active wheels

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by le arsi, Mar 17, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Watchmaker,tower clockmaker, watch repair teacher/
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Can you tell me guys if there are tower clock design out there that uses only two wheels? If none then do you think I am the first to design this kind of clock movement? In my next project I am going to build a clock movement with hour wheel and the center wheel only as the active components. They are driven by two separate motors that are being controlled digitally. I was inspired of the quartz watch that came out of the market long time ago named Casio. It has an analog display but the entire display was LCD. The hands run at stepping motion and that the minute hand has more bigger steps than hour hand that has smaller and fewer steps. Any comments?

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    depends, if its a real clock, meaning it keeps time and rings a bell, its been done. E. Howard's second model has a winding drum with great wheels for each train, but the escapement consists of the only other wheel in the time train (2 total)

I have a photo on flickr which shows this type of clock, but you can only see the strike wheel & a portion of the escape wheel to the right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/levelwind/21379829/in/photostream

3. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    It is a real clock with minute hand attached to the center wheel (1) being driven by a motor then an hour hand attached to the hour wheel (2) driven by another motor. These two motors are controlled digitally and turning in two different speed. The source of timing is a quartz oscillator that is adjusted to keep time at +2~5 minutes per year. The advantage that I can see for this kind of design are: easy to assemble, easy to maintain and I can make clock movement of bigger sizes with heavy hands. Thank you gvasale!

4. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Le: sounds like fun. Only thing is over here (USA) & maybe a few other places, we consider a timepiece to be a device fitting your description. It becomes a clock when there are visual ( dial or face whichever description you choose) along with a bell, gong, or other audible device used in conjunction to signal the passing of hours and sometimes half hours or even quarter hours. In any case, looks like you're busy having a good time at it.

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Le arsi has put many tower clock movements up in his country and some not so high.Keep up the good work Le arsi, there are not many tower clocks near me, only Parliament Hill.

6. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Yes I'm quite busy at present- making watch testers- orders are coming from here and abroad then this client of mine now under negotiation that they want to have a 6.5 meter wide tower clock for their building and I'm going to use this design for their clock. Before this I was using one motor movement in installing tower clocks like what Kevin mentioned but if this project pushed through then it's really fun doing it knowing that the movement has more advantages than before. BTW my design includes control switches that when you press the reset button all the hands will move to 12:00 O'clock position simultaneously with the digital (LED) display inside the master control then you can set the time manually (clockwise or counterCW) monitoring the digital slave clock that moves in synchronous to the big hands outside the building. Thanks.

7. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    My co-worker started to take measurements on top of the building where my 6.5m wide tower clock is going to be installed. This is another first from Le Arsi because I am going to use a movement with only two active wheels with two separate motors that are being controlled digitally. My own design and I think the only one in the world! Just like my Le Arsi Watch Tester - the only one of its kind in the world!
    PICT5395.jpg

8. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    The minute hand is taking its shape now! The uncovered portion of the hand is for the LED array that will lit the hands during night time. The master control is running now the two motors which I can't show you but I promise you will enjoy watching the hands as it moves as long as I finished the assembly. Thank you for following.
    Image025.jpg

9. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How do you plan to get power to those LEDs? I can image that slip rings might become a maintenance headache in that wonder Philippine climate!

10. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Well, I just thought of that so the slip rings is just right nside the movement enclosure protected against rains and sunlight and accessible to frequent maintenance if the needs arises. Thank you Will on how you describe our climate!

11. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It occurs to me that if you have complete and independent control of the hands, you could possibly avoid the slip rings... Allow the power cable to wind up during the day, then at 2AM, switch off the lights, and quickly wind the hour hand back 2 turns and the minute hand back 24 turns. Switch the lights back on when the unwind operation is done. Of course finding wire that will tolerate this repeated winding and unwinding might well just as difficult as building reliable sip rings.

There is probably a way to build an inductive coupler as well.

12. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    There is no reliable way to have connections than using a slip ring. Also, the hands must run in straight- forward sequence and the slip rings will minimize the motion of the wires that may cause it to break overtime.

13. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Here's the update: the hands and the movement are being tested here in the picture and it's raining. So far the only problem that I encountered are the unlit LEDs and the spring I used is not hard enough that's why when the slip ring moves the LEDs light become unstable. But these were all corrected now and we're due to install it on Thursday. Hope the weather is fine.

PICT5488.jpg

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking good Le Arsi, those led lights will really show up good at night.

15. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    This is how my 6.5 meter tower clock looks now. It was a successful installation although I must admit it was very stressful to all 7 men including me but when the hands was completely installed we are all very happy.
    182176_383745231688954_224068443_n.jpg

285400_462450930461100_682861627_n.jpg

Now this is Le Arsi Tower Clock, a landmark, a public service and part of the architectural design of the building and with its movement that consist mainly of only two wheels it now become the first of its kind tower clock ever installed in the Philippines or maybe in the world. I now realized the many advantages of this kind of movement when making a size like this compared to the common movement that exists so many years ago. Thank you for following.

557532_462447013794825_1531573698_n.jpg

16. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag: