Tower Clock Restoration

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by bangster, Jun 23, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Don Havens

Don Havens Guest

Bang,

Great article!! I hope we see more like this.

Don

4. Rookie

Rookie Guest

I also would say Kudo's to chapter #153 , For doing a great service to the community there. And for some "Good Press" for Horology in general !

Regards,
    Rookie

5. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! I didn't know that manufacturers like ST did turret clocks - were there as well specific turret clock makers in USA like Potts in England?
    Who is Kudo?

6. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kudos (should be no apostrophe) is slang for "good job etc." Seth Thomas and E Howard produced about 10,000 tower clocks ( not exactly sure) between the two of them. Howard perhaps more than Seth Thomas. Ive seen serial numbers as high as 4005 on Howards, and they started making tower clocks in the 1840's. Seth Thomas came into it in the 1870's buying the Hotchkiss company. America had a number of smaller companies who made handfuls to dozens before fading away to the factory giants Howard and Seth Thomas. I don't think many of us know much about English tower clock makers. I have seen only two. One in Massachusetts belonging to a collector, and one out of the USA.

7. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Mike Phelan, Jun 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Ah! All is clear - kudos. I know it well, it was just that with the capital and possessive it sounded like someone's name or place. Giant pandas take note!
    Many of our tower clocks are very old ones; some such as Dover Castle and Cassiobury Park are like overgrown chamber clocks with foliot balances - the flat bed system was used later in the Westminster clock and then for most other weight-driven ones.
    Many also have the well known Gents 'Waiting Train' movement with a Hipp toggle synchronised with a master clock.

8. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    FWIW, There is one old tower clock in Boston, made in 1760, a local makers name inscribed on it, but there has been speculation of it being made in England. There are rumors among some of my contacts of even a one handed tower clock somewhere. Around 1800 Eli Terry (?) made wooden chair shaped clocks. Flatbed with wood and later cast iron frames date to pre-1820, but are scarce, becoming more common in the later 1830's. I'm afraid I dont know what "gent's waiting trane" is. I have slews of photos.

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This Seth Thomas was at West Virginia University until they electrified the clock tower. The picture is from when it sat in my living room in Morgantown, WV.
    25.jpg
    NAWCC Chapter 84 has restored a number of tower clocks including a really great one by Fasoldt in Newburgh NY.

When the Spot A Clock program is in full swing we will be trying to organize a national campaign to bring some of these great clocks back to life and document the history of public clocks.

10. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom M.:

Is there someone who can give us an update on the status of the Spot-A-Clock program? Such as, how many clocks they have now registered, etc.

I have sent info and photos on several, but have no idea how the initial program is going or what their proposed time lines are.

RobertG

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are over 200 public clocks in the database and it is getting to the point of moving to open public reporting.

We had been hoping for a grant for some additional equipment and software to provide the public web based data collection facility. That part of the process seems stalled at the moment and we may need to come up with a different plan.

There is a lot of interest on the Board of Directors in seeing this project go forward.

12. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Tom.

How much money do they project it will require, and what type of equipment do they need?

RobertG

13. Tom Chaudoir

Tom Chaudoir Guest

14. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been developing a database for over six years in Massachusetts. So far I have over three hundred entries but still need a lot of fill in information. This still does not represent the total.

15. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's a clock that was made in Milwaukee, by the Schwalbach & Sons Tower Clock & Automobile Maunfacturer's. I don't know of any cars actually produced, but they made about 100 clocks.

This one has his patented remontoire, pinwheel escapement and a 4th train that chimes the Angelus three times a day.

http://www.astro5.com/Schwal427S/apr27%5e06a.jpg

16. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's a shot of the the other end...

http://www.astro5.com/Schwal427S/apr27%5e15a.jpg

Ralph

17. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's an interesting piece of hardware, first of its kind I've seen. I've got quite s few photos, but this scanner is driving me nuts and I still havent figured out how to post photos here. Been at this for a few hours. http://flickr.com/photos/levelwind/
    I'll try it too, and see if it works

18. hello these tower clocks are some of the nicest i have seen ,this is real engineering in the sense of steam engine type engineering...i have always wanted to buy and restore one of these .a few of our local churches have discarded theirs in favour of electric ones with fibreglass dials,i have never been able to trace one..lovely work regards ray